Author Topic: Reporting things to the police sometimes works  (Read 1667 times)

Reporting things to the police sometimes works
« on: 18 July, 2008, 06:22:22 pm »
About three months ago I was cycling along Magdalen Bridge in Oxford, passing a couple of slow cyclists, so not in the cycle lane, when I heard a beep behind me. I finished off my overtaking manoeuvre and was then passed ludicrously close by a van with a trailer with some machinery on it. I was fairly certain this was a deliberate attempt to tell me that I should have been in the cycle lane, and my suspicions were confirmed when I caught up with him at the lights for a word.

I assumed that would be the end of it except that another cyclist came up to me and said that he saw what the van did to me and it was right out of order. As all the van driver had to say on the matter was "I've got a witness too", referring to his passenger (who he presumably assumed would say whatever he liked), I thought I'd have a go at reporting it to the police.

Today I received a letter to tell me that the driver has just been on a day and a half Driver Improvement Course at his own expense :-)

ChrisO

Re: Reporting things to the police sometimes works
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:30:46 pm »
Good outcome.

Having reported to the police a month ago that I was deliberately shunted by a bus driver, who ran over my bike and left the scene I have just received a letter of acknowledgement.

I called them to tell them that the bus company has already investigated it, there is CCTV footage and the driver has admitted it and being disciplined.

Mr I.M. Jobsworth, who has been assigned the case, told me he has sent off form 22j/A-24 or whatever it is to the registered keeper and he has to wait another 28 days for them to return it before he can do anything.

On the other hand they did have a policeman on Clapham Common yesterday handing out leaflets telling cyclists to ride at no more than 5mph because there have been complaints about cyclists riding too fast on the cycle paths, which are even separate to the pedestrian paths.

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2008, 07:15:14 pm »
On the other hand they did have a policeman on Clapham Common yesterday handing out leaflets telling cyclists to ride at no more than 5mph because there have been complaints about cyclists riding too fast on the cycle paths, which are even separate to the pedestrian paths.

I think we should take their advice and not exceed 5mph through Clapham Common. But then, we should complain about joggers going too fast. ::-)

I wonder where they got 5mph from?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2008, 07:19:59 pm »

We already have a thread about this! :)

Anyway... well done Duncan. I shall post this story to HarBUG, where there is a current discussion about police response. Hearing a positive outcome from nearby will encourage people to report this stuff.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ChrisO

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2008, 07:23:18 pm »

We already have a thread about this! :)

Go on then, give us a clue ?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2008, 07:38:18 pm »

ChrisO

« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2008, 07:42:10 pm »
Thanks... don't know why I didn't spot it with a thread title like that.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #7 on: 22 July, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »
Well done Chris.