Author Topic: installing ubuntu on a Samsung X05 laptop - advice please  (Read 2014 times)

installing ubuntu on a Samsung X05 laptop - advice please
« on: 01 June, 2012, 08:59:50 pm »
Following my successful install of Ubuntu 12.04 on our old Toshiba Sateillite A120 laptop giving it a new lease of life  (on which this very post is being written), today a friend gave me a Samsung X05 laptop to do the same with, meaning we'd have another laptop for sproggles to browse the web and do homework on.

I inserted the Ubuntu CD and booted up the laptop and I got the following message:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU
pae
unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

Apparently it's a

Pentium  M
1500MHz processor
598 MHz
760mb ram

A quick Google trawl bought up some answers that didn't really make a lot of sense to me.  ???
Answers to help a Luddite on what to do next gratefully received. Thanks people...
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Re: installing ubuntu on a Samsung X05 laptop - advice please
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »
Ok, the short explanation is that newer (32 bit) processors allow more memory to be addressed, and the feature that provides that (pae = physical address extension) isn't in the pentium m - the fix is that you need a different iso (=disk) image to the one you're trying to install from which doesn't use it. It also looks like you may need to have a constant internet connection whilst it installs, since it'll grabs stuff during the install (see second link)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1975422
(one guy seems to have started with an older version which *did* install directly, and update from that)

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-to-install-ubuntu-1204-on-non-pae.html

the second link has a bit more in the way of instructions - see a little way down "Install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on non-PAE capable systems using the netboot minimal ISO" - you need to put the mini iso image on a cd or usb stick and boot from there. (dunno if there's anything you need to do wrt making either bootable - 'fraid it's not something I've had to do - yet)
Hope that's some use, if there's any niggly details I'm sure someone will be along later on here to help !

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »
thanks Henshaw11,

useful info.

the second link makes more sense,  ;D

I think I can have a constant internet connection whilst I install it so I'll try in the morning when I'm less brain dead...

thanks again.

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2012, 10:17:12 pm »
Hurrah, posting this from the Samsung laptop now running Ubuntu 12.04.

thanks Henshaw11  :thumbsup: