Author Topic: RIP Victor Spinetti  (Read 1210 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
RIP Victor Spinetti
« on: 19 June, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18148017

I know he was knocking on a bit, but it's sad news nonetheless - easily his most memorable role (for me) was as the neurotic studio director in The Beatles' "Hard Day's Night".

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: RIP Victor Spinetti
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2012, 06:12:30 pm »
It's been a bad week here in Wales - Brian Hibbard and Dorien Thomas (both seen in Twin Town amongst other things) gone. And Tom Maynard.

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2012, 07:26:30 pm »
Yes, the Hard Day Night role was good but his best scene for me was in one of the Pink Panther films when he is a receptionist and Clouseau (Peter Sellers) asks him if he has a "hrrum", etc.  How he didn't giggle, I don't know.  RIP

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2012, 08:36:44 pm »
It's been a bad week here in Wales - Brian Hibbard and Dorien Thomas (both seen in Twin Town amongst other things) gone. And Tom Maynard.
Though Tom Maynard seems to have gone the Darwin Award route.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2012, 08:55:27 pm »
Though Tom Maynard seems to have gone the Darwin Award route.
I was trying to avoid saying something to that effect - wasn't aware he was Matthew Maynard's son, though.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2012, 08:56:04 pm »
Yes, the Hard Day Night role was good but his best scene for me was in one of the Pink Panther films when he is a receptionist and Clouseau (Peter Sellers) asks him if he has a "hrrum", etc.  How he didn't giggle, I don't know.  RIP
I hope you realise I'll have to watch the Pink Panther films again.
Oh, the hardship ;D

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2012, 08:20:36 pm »
Sorry, Simon!

spindrift

« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »
He made his London debut in Expresso Bongo (1958) by Wolf Mankowitz and Julian More at the Saville theatre; Paul Scofield was the star in this satire on the newspaper industry, but a multitasking Spinetti made a comic mark as a Fleet Street editor, a parson, a psychiatrist and a head waiter.He was more than ready for the so-called swinging 60s, living a champagne lifestyle and dressing colourfully even when he couldn't pay all the bills.

And when he couldn't, he told me, he "spanked old gentlemen for money" so he could buy Christmas presents:

"My dear old mother told me that, if she'd known at the time, she would have come along and given me a hand!"

http://localuknews.co.uk/othernews/culture/localnews/victor-spinetti

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:19:25 am »
http://localuknews.co.uk/othernews/culture/localnews/victor-spinetti
They should have used a pic of him in the fluffy jumper he wore in "Hard Day's Night" ;)