Author Topic: Geneva to Rotterdam  (Read 1457 times)

Geneva to Rotterdam
« on: 24 July, 2012, 02:24:28 pm »
I'm thinking of having a tour in August and thought Geneva to the Ferry at Rotterdam would be a good route going through Germany. Has anyone any route advice or pointers to good planning web sites?

Re: Geneva to Rotterdam
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2012, 04:04:34 pm »
Head towards Freiburg or Strasbourg and follow the Rhine? There must be a load of websites mapping that.

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2012, 04:27:16 pm »
Leave the rhine south of Bonn and go inland towards the Maas river. Don't try to cross the Ruhr region. I have a few GPS tracks of this cut-through.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2012, 04:47:33 pm »
I've just today received my Rhein Radweg books 1 and 2 (I already had 3) which covers the area you are thinking about.

You could basically follow the Rhine from Basel to Rotterdam. It's scenic but not particularly fast as the cycle routes are very touristy.

I've done part 3 of the Rhein (from Mainz northwards) although I didn't go into Holland on it.

the books that I recommend are here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bikeline+rhein+radweg&x=0&y=0 They are in German but that doesn't matter too much as they have lots of maps and information on hotels that are bike-friendly, although if you can read German they are extra helpful as they tell you a bit about places through which you are passing.

I shall be doing Bodensee/Basel to Düsseldorf next May/June so will be doing most of the Rhein.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »
Thank you everyone - I don't really want to follow the Rhine as has been mentioned above it is quite touristy - I'll probably be doing it as a series of 200k perms so have a need for a little bit of speed! Any recommended Cols to cross in Switzerland as I slowly meander North?

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2012, 03:11:55 pm »
The detour of the Ruhr area I mentioned consists of various parts of my event routes. So they are not too slow.

« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2012, 05:20:40 pm »
Ivo if you have GPX of the area that would be great. I have friends in Heidelberg so may divert over that way before the Ruhr

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2012, 09:37:19 pm »
Ivo if you have GPX of the area that would be great. I have friends in Heidelberg so may divert over that way before the Ruhr

Loads of GDB files. Just send me a pm with your mail adress and I'll send you the various files of the events I organised between Maas and Rhine rivers.

« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2012, 09:49:46 pm »
Thank you everyone - I don't really want to follow the Rhine as has been mentioned above it is quite touristy - I'll probably be doing it as a series of 200k perms so have a need for a little bit of speed! Any recommended Cols to cross in Switzerland as I slowly meander North?

you find here some routes from Geneva to Basle, flat or hilly as you want:
www.veloland.ch, also in English