Author Topic: The Olympics are over, and...  (Read 1038 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
The Olympics are over, and...
« on: 18 August, 2012, 01:40:06 pm »
Both the football and The X Factor (over 4 months of it, culminating in the inevitable Christmas no.1 and then probable obscurity for the winner) start again today.  Is it just me who finds this profoundly depressing, as we haven't even got to the end of the summer holidays yet?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: The Olympics are over, and...
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2012, 02:45:47 pm »
Harrods already has a Xmas section

« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2012, 03:06:09 pm »
York has a Christmas shop open all year round ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2012, 03:08:27 pm »
My kids have been back at skool since Wednesday. Time to plan the October break, as we swelter in late summer heatiness.  Olympic fever does seem a while back!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2012, 09:14:18 pm »
Both the football and The X Factor (over 4 months of it, culminating in the inevitable Christmas no.1 and then probable obscurity for the winner) start again today.  Is it just me who finds this profoundly depressing, as we haven't even got to the end of the summer holidays yet?

No.  Not really.  But that's prolly 'cos I don't watch telly.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2012, 12:34:28 am »
It's fairly depressing even if you don't watch telly - you merely have to spend time surrounded by people who do.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2012, 10:29:20 am »
Avoid them all and squat on the forum!

I think it was on Friday, at a station, that I heard chanty git noises of a type normally associated with fupbol.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2012, 12:50:52 pm »
I see Sir Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins have been signed up by the evil genius Simon Cowell. The man has no shame:

The insider said: “Simon Cowell wasn’t that bothered about the Olympics before it got started and he stayed out of the country for most of it, but he is a brilliant ­businessman and he knows an opportunity when he sees one.

“The Olympics were an absolute sensation, and Simon is determined to cash in on the goodwill and enthusiasm of the country.

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:00:29 am »
I see Sir Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins have been signed up by the evil genius Simon Cowell. The man has no shame:

The insider said: “Simon Cowell wasn’t that bothered about the Olympics before it got started and he stayed out of the country for most of it, but he is a brilliant ­businessman and he knows an opportunity when he sees one.

“The Olympics were an absolute sensation, and Simon is determined to cash in on the goodwill and enthusiasm of the country.

What's wrong with it?  He's paid 2 high-profile sportsmen a lot of money to appear on his TV show?  Simon Cowell has no shame, we all know that, but why is this a special case?  Lots of TV shows have had Olympians appearing.  Wiggins and Hoy could turn the money down if it was so shameful.

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:09:24 am »
I think that the vast majority of TV is depressing, all this instant fame bullshit TV has just allowed all the other programs to dumb down,

and why is it that radio implodes into a football fest from mid-day Saturday and religious propaganda on Sunday, there are some of us who would just like to listen to normal radio over the weekend.   

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2012, 12:58:09 pm »
It's across all the Media. Times on Saturday:
couple of pages about the final Test Match of the SA series. England are (not for long) defending their No1 status in the premier form of the game; you had to wade through 14 pages of footy transfer news first. This is basically gossip, whatever you think of football.
 :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles