Author Topic: Phone calls from my grand-daughter  (Read 3992 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Phone calls from my grand-daughter
« on: 22 December, 2011, 12:42:01 pm »
I've just had my first properly interactive telephone conversation with my grand-daughter, who is full of cold and will be 18 months old on Tuesday next week.

It involved me singing Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes with her in which, I'm reliably informed, she carried out the actions at the appropriate moments, and, when I asked her if she'd like another song, she said "Yes." I then asked if we should sing "Twinkle twinkle" and she said, being bunged up, "Twickle". I heard her mum, misunderstanding, saying "Do want a tickle?", and we then sang "Twinkle twinkle little star." At the end, I said, "May I speak to mummy again?" and she called "Bubby!" and that was that.

Very gratifying!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: First proper conversation
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2011, 12:49:09 pm »
Gosh, she's clever! My conversations with Oli (4) still tend to be him shouting something down the phone and then walking off before I reply.

Maybe he's got it right, I do go on sometimes....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2011, 01:33:29 pm »
Blimey!  That's a better response than you'd get from the mid-Essex Wednesday pub ride crowd!

« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2011, 01:45:35 pm »
Blimey!  That's a better response than you'd get from the mid-Essex Wednesday pub ride crowd!
That's only because so few know the words to "lonesome pine."  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2011, 09:33:04 pm »
When Little Cudzo was that age and even quite a bit older he found phones a bit weird - it's odd to hear a familiar voice but not see the person. They can't be in that little black box can they? And can they see me, if I'm talking to them? I guess it's a common misconception...

When one of my nephews was about 2, his father was working away somewhere (Belgium I think) and happened to phone while he was in the bath. So his mum takes the cordless phone into the bathroom so he could talk to his dad. "Look, Daddy, I'm in the bath," and to prove it he dunks the phone into the water. End of all conversations on that phone!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2011, 04:12:48 pm »
Soon comes the 'Why?' stage: when every reply you give prompts another 'Why?'.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 24 December, 2011, 04:22:01 pm »
My grand-daughter hasn't seen me often enough, I think, for my real live self to be associated with the voice.

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 24 December, 2011, 04:35:30 pm »
I've just had my first properly interactive telephone conversation with my grand-daughter, who is full of cold and will be 18 months old on Tuesday next week.

It involved me singing Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes with her in which, I'm reliably informed, she carried out the actions at the appropriate moments, and, when I asked her if she' like another song, she said "Yes." I then asked if we should sing "Twinkle twinkle" and she said, being bunged up, "Twickle". I heard her mum, misunderstanding, saying "Do want a tickle?", and we then sang "Twinkle twinkle little star." At the end, I said, "May I speak to mummy again?" and she called "Bubby!" and that was that.

Very gratifying!

She already sounds more articulate than anyone on "The Only Way is Essex".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 24 December, 2011, 04:37:23 pm »

It involved me singing Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes with her in which, I'm reliably informed, she carried out the actions at the appropriate moments, and, when I asked her if she' like another song, she said "Yes." I then asked if we should sing "Twinkle twinkle" and she said, being bunged up, "Twickle". I heard her mum, misunderstanding, saying "Do want a tickle?", and we then sang "Twinkle twinkle little star." At the end, I said, "May I speak to mummy again?" and she called "Bubby!" and that was that.

Very gratifying!

Perhaps that's because she lives in Kent!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Phone calls from my grand-daughter
« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2012, 08:59:19 am »
Another gratifying call this morning. Martha doesn't call me grand-dad:  I'm Peeeter. She quite often asks to speak to Peeeter and she tells me about "Cody" and "Harry", who are colleagues at nursery. It's clear that she knows who it is at the other end of the phone now because, a few weeks ago when we stayed at my daughter's, Martha watched me getting dressed. Very often, the word Peeeter is followed by the word "tummy".

Re: Phone calls from my grand-daughter
« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2012, 09:11:18 am »

Very gratifying!

Perhaps that's because she lives in Kent!
Yebbut, is she a Kentish Lass or a Lass of Kent?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2012, 09:20:35 am »
A good question. She lives in Maidstone, very close to the Medway, and was born in the local hospital.

I think that makes her a Kentishlass, but only by a gnat's crotchet.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »
This morning.

"Cardigan. Manma made it!"

Manma was tickled pink.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2012, 05:36:50 pm »
Another gratifying call this morning. Martha doesn't call me grand-dad:  I'm Peeeter. She quite often asks to speak to Peeeter and she tells me about "Cody" and "Harry", who are colleagues at nursery. It's clear that she knows who it is at the other end of the phone now because, a few weeks ago when we stayed at my daughter's, Martha watched me getting dressed. Very often, the word Peeeter is followed by the word "tummy".
Just wait 'til she realises that you're actually Father Christmas!!!!    ;D ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2012, 06:42:08 pm »
Just wait 'til she realises that you're actually Father Christmas!!!!    ;D ;D
And that you're one of the elfs!  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 02 May, 2012, 12:51:04 pm »
"Manma"! Love it. :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 09 September, 2012, 08:29:14 am »
I had quite a decent conversation this morning. No longer the "Hello Peter" followed by her mother and me trying to get Martha to converse. Today there were plenty of sentences about going to see some pigs, there being piglets, feeding the goats, and then I had to speak to daddy. We talked about beer and I mentioned yesterday's ride to a pub.

Then back to Martha "People go on bikes" said she and I tried to explain that grandma and I were both going out on one bike later on.