Author Topic: diamond sharpening steel  (Read 1207 times)

diamond sharpening steel
« on: 18 December, 2012, 08:50:00 am »
My son's diamond-coated sharpening steel has worn out and I'd like to get him a replacement for christmas.
Suggestions for something half-decent, please. Budget under £80
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: diamond sharpening steel
« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2012, 08:57:28 am »
http://sharkdesigns.co.uk/home_pages/1_sharpening_online_store.html#sharpening_steels

I got my stone from these guys, at Auntie C's recommendation.

Top class guys.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2012, 09:24:25 am »
They are indeed.  Does your son want a round chef's steel like the one tiermat linked to or a pukka sharpening stone system?

For kitchen knives, you can't go far wrong with the combination of a proper Japanese waterstone for sharpening and a long steel for touchups.  Another option would be a folding hone - I have the DMT Diafold extra-fine and extra-extra fine combination which I use on all sorts of knives and it is very lovely indeed.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2012, 09:33:26 am »
It needs to be a steel - and only the diamond coated or ceramic ones actually sharpen.

Like most chefs, he uses it mid-cooking and hence it must be washable. I doubt he has the patience to learn to use a stone.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2012, 09:36:12 am »
Shark designs hit the spot. DMT have good reputation - I've ordered one of those.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 21 December, 2012, 01:05:30 pm »
Shark designs - excellent service, good prices. The boy should be happy
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2012, 01:27:56 pm »
I'd argue, having just looked at Shark Designs, they are just a tad exorbitant M'Lud!!!

For example: the DMT - Diamond Mini-Sharp (Fine)(F70F) is selling for £18.95, whereas an ironmongers in Brighton (Aird & Co), who I'd normally class as expensive, sell the self-same item for £7.95 which has the plastic guard too.

As it happened, they were also selling (again, the same item) but in a pack of three (fine, rough, extra fine, for £7.95 without the plastic housing … so I bought those!

So think on young skywalker.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #7 on: 23 December, 2012, 05:12:07 pm »
The steel I bought wasn't cheaper anywhere else on the web. The items you mention are obviously cheaper elsewhere.

I'd suggest that your ironmongers were selling old stock and hadn't updated their prices. Congrats on finding a bargain.
<i>Marmite slave</i>