Author Topic: Recommended Rissotto Rice  (Read 1011 times)

Recommended Rissotto Rice
« on: 10 January, 2013, 09:15:53 am »
I've bought various brands of Carnaroli rice over the years, but no Vialone Nano thus far.  I need to stock up again, and was wondering if anyone has a personal recommendation for a high quality rissotto rice?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Recommended Rissotto Rice
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:24:30 am »
I've tried Carnaroli and Vialone Nano, recently I've been using Tesco own brand Arborio and I can't honestly tell much difference. For me the main difference seems to come from paying attention while cooking and having a good stock.

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:46:35 am »
I used to work at a factory that packaged rice for all the major supermarkets and some of the 'Brand leaders' (not Vialone Nano).

(click to show/hide)

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:51:14 am »
I used to work at a factory that packaged rice for all the major supermarkets and some of the 'Brand leaders' (not Vialone Nano).

(click to show/hide)

My brother-in-law assures me it's the same with Cheddar cheese - supermarket value and premium blocks were identical appart from the wrappers.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2013, 02:34:46 pm »
If you have a 'asian' supermarket near you, chances are it will stock sushi rice in large bags.

This is usually much cheaper than supermarket 'risotto' rice and has very similar properties.

Alternatively, buy from Amazon.
<i>Marmite slave</i>