Author Topic: very low white blood cell count but ok?  (Read 1066 times)

very low white blood cell count but ok?
« on: 15 March, 2013, 08:42:59 am »
Hi there, my mother  is 48 years old and actually had a blood test two weeks ago to check in case she was diabetic and was called in for her results to be told she has a very low white blood cell count of 1.4 and if she was feeling fine.  My mum then informed the GP that they had already previously told her this from years back.  In turns out my mum has had around a 1.4 blood cell count since 2004, but the GP and a doctor at the hospital have told her if she's feeling fine she should be ok although they have never came across this before.  The past few days my mum has also noticed unexpected bruising, slightly patchy on one leg which then disappeared but happened again to her arm and then other leg.  Is this something to worry about? I'm not too convinced about them not having investigated this further, could this really just be a rare matter? I am really worried just now but don't want to show it in front of her.

Thank you for any response
Suzanne

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: very low white blood cell count but ok?
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2013, 08:53:06 am »
White cells fight infection and are not involved in clotting.
Platelets help the blood to clot and problems with them may cause bruising.

As your mother does not appear to have problems with infection, I would not worry hugely right now.
If there's much bruising, it might be wise to see a GP.

« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2013, 09:03:24 am »
Thank you hellymedic.  I think she has an appointment with her GP today, I was just concerned that most low wbc seemed to be associated with leukaemia etc so was worried why she has had it for so long.

« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2013, 09:08:15 am »
I think it is actually the opposite. My mum had CLL and the giveaway was very high levels.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2013, 09:09:07 am »
White cells are produced extremely quickly on demand. If the count has been low and stable, this is much less worrying than if it suddenly drops.
All the best to your mum!