Author Topic: Waterproof overtrousers  (Read 1618 times)

Waterproof overtrousers
« on: 12 April, 2013, 10:56:30 pm »
My aged overtrousers are dying. After about 15 years, that's reasonable. They've spent most their time strapped on top of a saddlebag, but have remained waterproof enough for touring and long commutes where wet trousers are not an option.

Replacement is proving very difficult. The old ones were not expensive. Nevertheless they weigh 175g, pack into small space, are reasonably breathable, and, until recently, have been waterproof without help from Nikwax. They have elasticated ankle cuffs which fit without any extra straps. That's my basic spec.

I've tried several bike shops in the area, which has been frustrating. It's hard to find anything other than Altura/Endura. Gore Bike paclite comes closer to my spec., but I don't see why I should pay 75% more than I did for my Rohan paclite walking overtrousers with full-length side zips (heavy, but not cheaper) for something inferior to my antiquated kit.

Any suggestions? I have, and use, various alternatives already, e.g. get wet, rainlegs & waterproof shorts.

First choice would be a bike shop within reasonable cycling range - say 20 miles. I'm between medium & large sizes, and would choose a ride to a bike shop rather than the hassle of sending internet purchase back, with no guarantee that the alternative fitted any better. But I'll buy from Internet if it suits.

Re: Waterproof overtrousers
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2013, 11:15:26 pm »
You've mentioned Gore Paclite. I would highly recommend the Gore trousers (full name: Gore Bike Wear Solid II GORE-TEX Lady Cycling Trousers) I bought from Wiggle before our big tour. They are one of my favourite pieces of kit and one I would not have been without. They are long-lasting, lightweight, impressively waterproof, well-fitting, comfortable to ride in... I could go on. I also have been wearing them out walking in the recent snow and they performed equally well. I bought them for about £70 which is rather expensive but I'm very happy that they'll last me for at least another ten years. 

You can find your local stockist here, I think.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2013, 11:22:54 pm »
I like my Montane Atomic trousers.
Waterproof, lightweight, and fairly breathable. I don't wear them very often for cycling, but they pack small so handy to have just in case.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2013, 11:26:34 pm »

I cannot help with a suggestion for the best thing in waterproof pants but I can suggest one model to maybe not consider and that is Showers Pass Storm pants. I brought a pair of these based on my experience with their Showers Pass Elite 2.0 jacket (now updated to the 2.1) which I have found to be very good, however the Storm pants are not of the same design quality. They are bulky and they don't breath very well at all and so unless conditions are quite cold I find I tend to heat up in them. Waterproof wise I am still in two minds about this; I think they are reasonable on that front but not brillant.

That said teh Storm pants are the cheapest I think in the Showers Pass range so maybe I was expecting to much of them. The more expensive Skyline pants maybe a better choice.

So I will be interested in the suggestions you get here as well.

Andrew

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »
Waterproof trousers don't need to be cycling-specific if you use cycle clips or elastic bands around the ankles.  I've got excellent Mountain Equipment super-light breathable ones with full zips (bought many years ago; I don't know what's in their current range).

(I don't mind getting soaking wet legs on a recreational ride, but not when wearing civvies and going somewhere other than home).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2013, 11:51:42 pm »
You've mentioned Gore Paclite. I would highly recommend the Gore trousers (full name: Gore Bike Wear Solid II GORE-TEX Lady Cycling Trousers) I bought from Wiggle before our big tour. They are one of my favourite pieces of kit and one I would not have been without. They are long-lasting, lightweight, impressively waterproof, well-fitting, comfortable to ride in... I could go on. I also have been wearing them out walking in the recent snow and they performed equally well. I bought them for about £70 which is rather expensive but I'm very happy that they'll last me for at least another ten years. 

I've only found Gore trousers at £150, so many thanks for confirmation that it was a rip-off price. I've tried the Gore link and found a couple of bike shops that I hadn't explored. I have to admit that they're still top of my list of alternatives. Nevertheless they are alternative: "adjustable leg width" is a feature I don't want.

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2013, 10:26:34 pm »

I've only found Gore trousers at £150, so many thanks for confirmation that it was a rip-off price. I've tried the Gore link and found a couple of bike shops that I hadn't explored. I have to admit that they're still top of my list of alternatives. Nevertheless they are alternative: "adjustable leg width" is a feature I don't want.
Mine have velcro adjustments round the lower leg which I find very handy for pulling on over my cycling shoes or walking boots. But yes, £150?! Too much.

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2013, 05:58:40 pm »
Mine are similar - currently £110 at Amazon. I'm on my second pair, as the originals suffered slightly when I was knocked off, and the seam started failing on the side of the leg that goes against the chainset.
I had no hesitation in buying another pair - they are expensive, but if you keep an eye out in sales are often around the £100 mark. As I spend so many hours wearing, the cost per hour for being comfortable is very low.