Author Topic: Route from London Heliport to Cabul Road avoiding York Road  (Read 947 times)

I take MiniGB swimming on a Friday at Latchmere Leisure Centre and I have a nice route[1] away from busy roads all the way from Putney to the Heliport in Battersea. It's just the last bit to Cabul Road that I need an alternative for as I've just ended up using York Road/Battersea Park Road and needing to turn right onto Cabul Road after two lanes have merged into one is a dicey affair (especially with the bike handling oddly with 16kg in a Hamax and panniers of towels/locks/etc on lo-riders).

I'd prefer a legal cycling route so no pavement cycling (I don't mind nipping on to the pavement to use crossings) or ignoring one way routes. I don't mind adding distance to do this, but not a huge amount. Speed is not of importance.

I can join Cabul road anywhere along it, the reason for going this way is that MiniGB loves going under the railway bridges on the cycle path between Cabul Road and Latchmere Road.

Also need a route going the other way, so one way roads need an alternative.

It doesn't have to start at the heliport, I can turn off the waterfront earlier but I'd rather go as far as the heliport (MiniGB likes seeing the helicopters if they're there).

A bit of playing with the map gives me this, but there's a problem:-

R onto Lombard Road and SO (either using the road or the crossing) the junction with York Road into the park, through park and cut through the edge of a car park and L onto Wye St. R into Fawcett Close and there's a way to get through to Coppock Close (the barriers don't look too bad). SO Falcon Road (not great but better than riding along it) onto Khyber Road. Problem is that the short stretch of Candahar Road I'd need to use to get to Cabul Road is one way (against me). I suppose I could dismount and push that section along the pavement. It'd work for getting back though.

Any better ideas? Can't see any nice way without riding some of York Road/Battersea Park Road or Falcon Road.

1. Back streets of Putney and a short bit of URR to Oakhill Road, cross Putney Bridge Road using crossing opp Hop Pole PH, down Frogmore and use cycle contraflow, past Armory PH, left onto Dormay St (so I don't have to touch York Road at all) and imm R down the access road to Wandle Delta Creek, right over the river and onto Smuggler's Way, past the dump and B&Q, left into the pedestrian area and through the archway to come out on Jews Row by The Ship PH. Pier Terrace and through the new access way onto the waterfront path past all of the new Battersea Reach executive boxes. Continue along all the way to the Heliport and left onto the road following round to Lombard Road.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Re: Route from London Heliport to Cabul Road avoiding York Road
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2013, 05:59:50 pm »
I should say that if I was on my own I'd be happy to blast along the length of York Road and Battersea Park Road without worry.

I don't think I'm over-protective of MiniGB but I prefer to amble along having a chat with her. The few times I've gone down a short stretch of York Road with her on the back we can't hear each other due to the other traffic noise. CS8 is also useless along the section between Lombard Road and Battersea Park Road as it's generally filled with parked up minicabs.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2013, 07:18:07 pm »
York Road isn't nice there.  I can't think of the alternative off the top of my head.  Butterfly might well know.
Getting there...

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2013, 07:43:10 pm »
Just from Google maps/streetview, you could try going left on Lombard Rd, right on Gwynne Rd, and through the gate at Battersea High St. Simpson St is indicated on Google as one-way, but I don't see it marked---there's a cycle bypass at the Battersea High St / York Rd junction, and no one-way arrows anywhere (except on Winders Rd). So you can go E along Simpson St to get a right-left dogleg onto Battersea High Rd and then Cabul Rd, which looks a lot easier to manage.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2013, 08:15:57 pm »
Thanks, I'd discounted Simpson St as it was (as you say) one way on google maps.

The short bit of Battersea Park Road isn't that nice, but it's a lot nicer than my existing route so that's definitely an upgrade.

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2013, 12:24:26 pm »
Leave river at York place by the café, the barrier is usually up in the day and cycle through the little park, called York park? It's good route to Clapham Junction as well that doesn't seem to be used by anyone else apart from me.