Author Topic: Why I ride fixed  (Read 3142 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Why I ride fixed
« on: 28 August, 2008, 10:17:40 pm »
So I'm on my way to work this morning, and as it's calm and dry, I take the Fuji, a vision in skinny flamboyant blue steel.  The only noise it makes is the snuffling of its tyres on the road, and it's smoother than Valiant at a speed dating evening.

Approaching a junction with a larger lane, I see a roadie flash past, going the same way as me.  OK, you're on.

He's not trying very hard, so it takes me about 300 yards to catch up on my 48 x 18.  We reach the big roundabout at the same time and (for once) I time it right so I can go straight on, passing him, with just enough time for a cheery "Awright" in the least out-of-breath voice I can manage.

I exit the roundabout and the traffic lights outside the hospital are, as usual, just changing to red.  I let the bike slow down, and he draws up alongside.

"Singlespeed?" he says.

And all the nightmares over getting the chainline right, wrenching up hills at 25rpm, making little kids laugh as I flail wildly downhill and the fact that the bars really are a full 7" lower than the saddle evaporate with the sweet smell of GT85 as I reply,

"Nah.  Fixed."
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Julian

• samoture
Re: Why I ride fixed
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:19:01 pm »
You're a shameless poser. 

So am I.  Good, innit?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2008, 10:24:38 pm »
...for long distances.
...in hilly terrain.
...for long distances in hilly terrain.

because it's a challenge.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2008, 11:48:38 am »
I would love to ride fixed in Flanders. Whilst on my recent two week tour of the region, I saw literally thousands of bicycles out and about on the streets, of all shapes and sizes from super expensive racers to old town shoppers etc. - but not one single fixed! Every time I saw a nice old lightweight steel frame bike I thought to myself, that should really be fixed up.

« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2008, 11:52:43 am »
You are a closet fakenger.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2008, 06:41:54 pm »
I have the Howies courier bag too  :-[
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2008, 06:42:49 pm »
Have you been reading The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton again?

(He could have at least got the definition of gear inches right...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2008, 09:28:54 am »
My favourite bike.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2008, 11:29:06 am »
My brain refuses to let me know why I ride fixed, but nevertheless I enjoy it. The enjoyment defies explanation.

« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2008, 11:52:53 am »
how do you explain it to your friends / significant other though?  Mrs Mike refuses to try and thinks it's barmy :)

« Reply #10 on: 03 September, 2008, 11:58:11 am »
"Yup." You say, "That's what everyone says until they try it."

Che

« Reply #11 on: 03 September, 2008, 12:01:50 pm »
It's easier to ride. Lighter bike, efficient drivetrain, much better up (sensible) hills than my geary bike. Have terrific control of speed at low speed. Feel much happier if navigating through slow and stopped traffic on my fixed than on any other bike. Trackstanding -- not a major reason for going fixed, but I do do it, and it is nice to be able to. Near zero maintainence.

That's about it. Easier to ride uphill. Easier to ride in traffic. Easier to fettle.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 03 September, 2008, 12:04:39 pm »
*thinks about getting Carlton out if it's dry tomorrow* ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 03 September, 2008, 12:25:34 pm »
"Yup." You say, "That's what everyone says until they try it."

Best answer.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

mr bunbury

« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2008, 10:42:34 pm »
Because I didn't trust the gears on my secondhand hack bike (it's kinda BSO), was moving to a fairly flat area and would be leaving my bike outside all the time and so wanted minimal moving parts.

« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2008, 10:45:14 pm »

much better up (sensible) hills than my geary bike.

Now if only we could get all those silly hills in to line.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Che

« Reply #16 on: 04 September, 2008, 02:51:53 am »
This is where I wish that bikely was finer grained. I'd love to know how steep my commute really is - or indeed any of a number of rides. But I know that I've done 1 in 3's in the North Yorks Moors, where, if you differentiate the Bikely data (which is to say, find the slope between neighbouring points), the route doesn't exceed 12%. I feel short-changed. How am I to exhibit my gnarliness now?