Author Topic: Keep Turning Left  (Read 1129 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Keep Turning Left
« on: 10 January, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »
Quite often, I go for a ride with no particular destination in mind. Yesterday I tried a new variation:

• At every branch in the road, take the leftmost road that you haven't already followed
  • If you've already followed them all, turn right.
  • Unless you know that will bring you back to the same point on roads you have already travelled, in which case turn left.

I managed 28 miles before having to invoke rule 3, and was never more than about four miles from home!  :D

This looks like a good way to explore a new area without a map; you do end up riding almost every possible route with minimum backtracking and repetition,  and you always have a short, known route back to your start point. It's hard to work out in advance, though, what road you will take - even a few yards difference in your start may alter your route entirely.

The next time I do this, I'll bring a camera.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Keep Turning Left
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2014, 06:13:05 pm »
This would not work well for us. Our movements are severely restricted by estuaries and occupied territories.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »
This sort of thing leads to graph algorithms (Euler Tours, anyone?).  Graph algorithms lead to GPS data.  GPS data leads to insanity.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:33:20 pm »
This sort of thing leads to graph algorithms (Euler Tours, anyone?).  Graph algorithms lead to GPS data.  GPS data leads to insanity.

Sometimes it leads to a campsite.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:35:22 pm »

Sometimes it leads to a campsite.

Via a number of pubs and tearooms, by the flattest possible path without visiting any pub more than once, yes.

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2014, 05:25:37 pm »
Kim, I've no idea what you're talking about but I'll defend your right to say it ....