Author Topic: Filtering on the left of large vehicles (vid)  (Read 1222 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Filtering on the left of large vehicles (vid)
« on: 13 January, 2014, 02:02:06 pm »
It's not just cyclists who are tempted into this (and seem to get away with it):
http://youtu.be/NYxd3wZaw-4
Probably NSFW as "contains foul language... naturally."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

spindrift

Re: Filtering on the left of large vehicles (vid)
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2014, 02:26:05 pm »
he's a bad-tempered numpty filtering potty mouth.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:48:24 pm »
Not so much flow of consciousness as flux of consciousness. Still, it was interesting to watch and he didn't slag off any cyclists.  BTW, I though London was supposedly crawling with cyclists: I saw maybe three.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2014, 04:19:26 pm »
That's the A4  / Hammersmith Gyratory / Cromwell Road he was on, for the most part - it's not exactly cyclist friendly and there are more pleasant alternatives available.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2014, 08:33:25 pm »
He's got dozens of videos up and they're mostly on that route, which is evidently his commute, while he muses on various subjects and swears at people inside his helmet (as he points out, they can't hear him). Interesting at first but his vocal mannerisms get tiring. He seems to ride pretty fast, a bit too fast for a city - though perhaps it's not as fast as it looks? - but is at least tolerant of most other road bods as species. But that filtering - reckless! The episode where he takes his GSX-R (super-sports bike) along an extremely muddy byway is entertaining...

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »
It's not just cyclists who are tempted into this (and seem to get away with it):
http://youtu.be/NYxd3wZaw-4
Probably NSFW as "contains foul language... naturally."
Got rather bored with listening to him, and watching him squeezing down to the front (and contravening ASL rules at least once...).

But most of all... watching it made me feel nauseous!  ???  Did anyone else find this? It was something to do with the motion of the camera I reckon.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:45:32 pm »
What I meant (but failed to say :facepalm:) was that ASLs and kerbside cycle lanes are often blamed for encouraging dangerous undertaking (and thus left hooks and getting crushed in other ways) - I think there's some truth in this, but some people just do it anyway.

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:53:21 pm »
quite scary but entertaining; I liked his comment about singing to babies  :) a world of difference to doing it on a pedal cycle though

and no I'm not surprised at the lack of cycles; I work round there and would not dream of using most of those roads!

rr

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2014, 12:18:27 am »
quite scary but entertaining; I liked his comment about singing to babies  :) a world of difference to doing it on a pedal cycle though

and no I'm not surprised at the lack of cycles; I work round there and would not dream of using most of those roads!

I've done all that on a bike, including the underpass, (and the Hammersmith flyover - Mr Larrington told me it was fine - LIAR) -- it was 30 years ago though.

« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2014, 09:26:53 am »
Watched a few of his and yes, found them quite entertaining. I think he's probably quite a good rider and has excellent observation - this is even clearer on the vid where he explains his approach to filtering.

Disturbingly, though, his commentary reminds me of my own interior monologue when cycling along those sorts of roads.