Author Topic: National 24 and RRTY  (Read 6413 times)

Re: National 24 and RRTY
« Reply #50 on: 18 January, 2014, 06:39:43 pm »
24h TTing, madness

25 miles - hardly enough time to get warmed up. ;)

not saying a word

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #51 on: 18 January, 2014, 09:15:08 pm »
24h TTing, madness

not saying a word

Ian would do a 54 too, except that he hasn't yet twigged how you need to warm up before the race  ;)

« Reply #52 on: 18 January, 2014, 09:54:16 pm »
24h TTing, madness

not saying a word

Ian would do a 54 too, except that he hasn't yet twigged how you need to warm up before the race  ;)

That's actually a fair bit of race advice there for those considering their first 24h .  You must do a warm up before you start about 10% of your expected milage should cover it.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #53 on: 18 January, 2014, 10:44:59 pm »
40 miles?  Surely that's excessive!

At least with a 24 you don't have to shift your alarm clock from stupidly early to mind-bogglingly early to do a warm up, like you do at most other distances over 10 miles.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #54 on: 19 January, 2014, 08:45:03 am »
I think it should be mentioned that the HPV people didn't want anything to do with Steve's planned 'open' 24hr TT. [IIRC, which is doubtful ... ]

What I think happened .........

Also I think there's only a few of the racers in the club who would think about doing a 24, a few do audax but most are into the shorter races. You'd get them doing the shorter TT's but probably not the longer ones.
I'd just like to see recumbents allowed in as they are just another type of bicycle (in their own cat'), not every recumbent has a fairing and they aren't that different aerodynamically to a bike with tri-bars.

« Reply #55 on: 19 January, 2014, 09:15:50 am »
CTT even have restrictions on what can be used on "normal" bicycles based on how they are set up.

« Reply #56 on: 19 January, 2014, 09:59:41 am »
recumbent machines are often much quicker.  take Robert ( banana Bob) Thomas. He could do 49mph with tail wind. remember 1982 at Goodwood HPV day. the speed of all machines was phenomenal! !

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #57 on: 19 January, 2014, 11:55:47 am »
And tandems are often quicker than a solo, hence in another category.

« Reply #58 on: 19 January, 2014, 01:17:09 pm »
40 miles?  Surely that's excessive!

At least with a 24 you don't have to shift your alarm clock from stupidly early to mind-bogglingly early to do a warm up, like you do at most other distances over 10 miles.

not to sure about that, once drove to Prees on the morning of the event parked up and rode to the start, then after I had finish rode back to Prees to get my stuff drove back to HQ for a shower, and pick up my medal. quick nap, drive home back in work monday morning.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #59 on: 19 January, 2014, 01:43:17 pm »
Prees to the start = 16 miles? 

Anyway, was that the one where you did 461 miles?

P.S. While I'm busy stalking your PBs on TTF, surely you're in line for a name change to "sub54"?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 19 January, 2014, 02:42:59 pm »
And tandems are often quicker than a solo, hence in another category.
An excellent point!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #61 on: 19 January, 2014, 02:51:31 pm »
Warm up before a '24'!!!  YOu'll be tired enough at the end without wasting energy before the start.  The ride from HQ to the start is usually long enough.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #62 on: 20 January, 2014, 01:09:27 am »
There is a 24 hour event on at Thruxton this year. I'm not sure if they allow recumbents.

no in fact wont even entertain TT bikes

:facepalm:

I'm not sure if they've thought through their rules: they certainly haven't proof-read them.

Quote from: RULES for RIDE24 2014
• Any two wheel bicycle can compete apart from electric bikes
• Tri-bars are not bikes are not permitted in the race

These are restated in the rider pack as "Bar-end extensions and triathlon handlebars are not allowed" and in the FAQs as
Question: What bike can I use?
Answer: Any two - wheel bike can be used in this event apart from fixed wheel bikes or tandems. Tri bars are not allowed to be fixed to any bike for this event.

Is there such a thing as a recumbent triplet?

On lights, they say "decent bike lights (You might be thankful if your lights have a still beam as well as (or instead of) a flashing option)" - I can't see flashers being terribly popular in a group ...

« Reply #63 on: 20 January, 2014, 08:55:28 am »
The fixed wheel ban is weird. A tandem, by the way, can have any number of riders in line, one behind another.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #64 on: 20 January, 2014, 09:05:46 am »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #65 on: 20 January, 2014, 09:49:06 am »

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #66 on: 20 January, 2014, 09:51:14 am »
In the context of this thread, it isn't two-wheeled either
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #67 on: 20 January, 2014, 10:29:09 am »
The fixed wheel ban is weird. A tandem, by the way, can have any number of riders in line, one behind another.

Weird? I think you're being kind.

As for 'tandem' meaning 'at length' rather than 'bicycle built for two,' you know that, I know that, but I bet the folk who drafted those rules don't, and that it would mess with their heads if you turned up with a triplet (or a quad, or ...) and pointed them to one of the myriad definitions that claim it's only two. (Like the one you posted, in fact, which seems to borrow from Oxford.)

Probably not mess with their heads to the point of letting you ride, mind ...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #68 on: 20 January, 2014, 10:47:09 am »
I thought having 2 wheels for each rider and having the riders side by side would confuse them enough. Otherwise, go for the boring option http://www.flixxy.com/bike-for-two-the-sociable.htm
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #69 on: 20 January, 2014, 07:02:23 pm »
At one point in my life ,I did consider this event and was going to mess with the rules slightly , by using my full on TT rig including disc and tri spoke and flat base bars. Just remove the extensions , re-jigging the bar end shifters. Three things put me off though , can't see the point as the whole purpose is to set a distance, if the regs are going to prevent you from that , why bother.  The entry fee is £250 !!!  Any event promoters who want the race number on the front ,doesn't understand bicycle racing. Which is not a good start.