Author Topic: etrex 20  (Read 1711 times)

etrex 20
« on: 09 February, 2014, 08:19:36 pm »
I'm doing an Audax end of the month and I've tried to turn the routesheet into a track on bikehike, I saved the route which came up as 163km with about 40ish waypoints when I try and view it on the GPS the screen has frozen. Is this because I'm nowhere near the start or have I done something else wrong? Thanks ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: etrex 20
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2014, 08:48:33 pm »
Be patient.  If the map's zoomed out far enough to display a 163km route, it's likely to take a minute or two to render.

These devices have relatively slow CPUs - it's what allows them to have such good battery life.  Most of the time it's not a problem, but this sort of thing really shows it up.

« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2014, 01:42:38 pm »
Thanks Kim I'll try it later with a bit of patience. :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2014, 02:16:46 pm »
As I said recently in another thread, this "checking your route is interpreted correctly" stage is the most frustrating things about the Garmins.  Ideally it wouldn't be necessary, but while it is, it's better to spend a bit of time tediously waiting for the map to scroll so you can check it over at home, rather than have to sort out a routing problem in the cold and wet against the clock.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2014, 03:39:13 pm »
... on bikehike, I saved the route which came up as 163km with about 40ish waypoints when I try and view it on the GPS the screen has frozen.

Does that mean that you've added 40-ish 'coursepoints' and then saved it as a Route?  Because the Route itself will save out from BikeHike with several hundred routepoints if its that sort of distance, regardless af any you may add.  And that won't compute, in any GPS.  The max is 250 routepoints at a time.

If however you've turned off 'Follow road (google map)' and just plotted a straight-lines Route with 40-ish points - that should be OK, and provided its =<50, should autoroute in the GPS, and with luck maybe even go the way you expected.

If it's a zoomed-out map on the GPS that seems to be freezing things, just zoom it in manually and quickly, several times.  (left middle button)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2014, 05:07:40 pm »
Thanks again for reply's I switched etrex on made coffee and it was ready to view obviously too eager last night.  :P

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:10:56 pm »
I only use tracks on the Etrex 20. As soon as it powers up the track is displayed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2014, 06:14:16 pm »
I only use tracks on the Etrex 20. As soon as it powers up the track is displayed.

Foolproof, if you're paying attention and can see the screen properly.

Turn-by-turn routing can help with both of those, but requires a bit more hand-holding.

« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2014, 09:03:42 am »
Joe Lucas is smiling.

The Garmin screen settings,,, “Off, dim and flicker”..

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 11 February, 2014, 11:17:23 am »

+1 tracks seem a bit better

« Reply #10 on: 11 February, 2014, 01:17:19 pm »
Sus out from the routesheet where all the controls are. Create a bunch of Waypoints. Let the unit guide you to each control/Waypoint in turn.