Author Topic: Happy Birthday Dr Strangelove  (Read 3663 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Happy Birthday Dr Strangelove
« on: 30 January, 2014, 09:18:32 am »

Stanley Kubrick’s genius nightmare comedy, Doctor Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb was released fifty years ago today.  There's a copy of the DVD sitting on my shelf and I may watch it this weekend - it's been years since I last saw it.

Incidentally, whilst looking for images to add to this post, I found the one below:

(notreallya...)
(click to show/hide)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Happy Birthday Dr Strangelove
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2014, 09:22:34 am »

Lembit Opik, the former LibDem MP who has a preoccupation with cheeky girls...

General 'Buck' Turgidson, the loony jingoist army officer who has a preoccupation with his vital fluids...

Disclaimer: I knew Lembit Opik at uni and he is actually a nice guy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2014, 04:09:59 pm »
This is one of those important films that I've conspicuously failed to see, yet recognise all those images.  Perhaps this is a good opportunity to rectify the situation...

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2014, 04:53:41 pm »
Hang on, isn't that the one with the original comedy left-arm-holding-down-the-right-arm-not-really-a-nazi-salute?*

Are you allowed to watch that these days?  After all, the French (or a footballer) might claim it as theirs…

*yes, I know it is. 
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2014, 04:59:04 pm »
I thought it was rather hit or miss.  The "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"  line is a bit rushed, spoiling the joke about repopulating the Earth from nubile women.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »
There were two films made about the same subject at around the same time. The other was the completely serious 'Fail Safe'. Strangelove has lasted a lot better, the comedy still stands up, while the basic premise of the both films was soon overtaken by the move to missiles. The odd thing was that the satire was released before the serious film. It was Jack D Ripper who had the problem with flouridation and bodily fluids.
http://www.entertainmentscene360.com/index.php/comparing-dr-strangelove-with-fail-safe-1964-456/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2014, 05:38:39 pm »
There was a rather good live TV re-make of Fail Safe made in 2000.  Worth watching.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2014, 10:06:23 pm »
There was a rather good live TV re-make of Fail Safe made in 2000.  Worth watching.

It's excellent isn't it? only saw it for the first time a month back. Great cast too.

Jakob

« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2014, 10:20:09 pm »
There were two films made about the same subject at around the same time. The other was the completely serious 'Fail Safe'. Strangelove has lasted a lot better, the comedy still stands up, while the basic premise of the both films was soon overtaken by the move to missiles.

Not quite. B-52's were on SAC duty until 1991.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 30 January, 2014, 10:25:18 pm »
There were two films made about the same subject at around the same time. The other was the completely serious 'Fail Safe'. Strangelove has lasted a lot better, the comedy still stands up, while the basic premise of the both films was soon overtaken by the move to missiles.

Yeah, the tactics changed somewhat, but bombers were still a part of it, as the source of a retaliatory strike should the missile sites or chain of command be destroyed.

The not-in-the-same-league 1990 TV movie By Dawns Early Light covers similar issues in a 90s context.  (Bear with it, the start is pure cheese.)

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2014, 09:16:22 am »
I've still not seen this.

Seems so ridiculous, until you read that that nuclear missiles are maintained and controlled by people who cheat in their exams.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2014, 10:58:53 am »

I was thinking more of the opportunities for dramatic tension. We saw a return to the maverick commander threatening armaggedon with 'The Hunt for Red October'.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2014, 11:55:33 am »
I might have a 'Wargames' & 'Dr Strangelove' double bill this weekend!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2014, 12:59:23 pm »
Recipe for paranoid hiding behind the sofa (or under a door).

'When you hear the warning....'
Getting there...

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2014, 02:30:20 pm »
Ah, the sound of my youth: Patrick Allen as the voice of 'Protect and Survive'.*

Such a lovely voice for such sinister material.

*Although I prefer the re-recorded versions that were imprinted in my brain by Trevor Horn and FGTH:
"When you hear the Air Attack Warning, you and your family must take cover at once.  DO NOT stay out of doors.  If you are caught in the open, lie down."

"And now, here is a reminder about fallout warnings:  When fallout is expected you will hear three bangs in short succession, like this…   …in some areas the warning may be given by means of three gongs, like this…  or you may hear three whistles.  All these three types of sound mean that fallout is expected.  When you hear them, you must stay in the safest position in the house.  Keep the doors shut.  Do not go outside the house until you are told it is safe.  Here is the All-Clear Warning…"

"If your grandmother or any other member of the family should die whilst in the shelter, put them outside, but remember to tag them first for identification purposes."

Young'uns today:   Eee, they dun't know they're born…   ;)
L
Windcheetah No. 176

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #15 on: 31 January, 2014, 04:48:08 pm »
50 years? 'kinnell. I have a recording of it on our NAS. Must watch it again soon.
Pen Pusher

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #16 on: 01 February, 2014, 02:07:37 am »
Happy Birthday from here. I grew up with THE FEAR as a teenager in the eighties, and DS helped me make sense of all that (if not reduce THE FEAR).

I thought Peter Sellers was very hit and miss in the Pink Panther films, but was pretty good in DS. There was something very traditional in the way he played several parts. Reminds me of Alec Guinness in Kind Hearts & Coronets.

Hmm - that might be an interesting back-to-back.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 02 February, 2014, 03:38:51 pm »
FGTH sampled the warning for the beginning of "Two Tribes", which is probably how anyone under 50 is familiar with it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #18 on: 02 February, 2014, 08:56:52 pm »
I used to hear the annual test regularly whilst at school in the 70's/80's as we were only half a mile or so from a large-ish town-centre police station (Bury) with the Carter siren on the roof.
L
Windcheetah No. 176

fuzzy

« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2014, 10:11:18 am »
I remember being a control room bod one day in the early 90's when a particularly vigourous thunderstorm over High Wycombe and it's nearby Stirk Command complex. A lighting strike caused the air raid sirens to fault and start sounding. in 15 minutes we doubled our call volume for the whole weekend :o

"No Sir, we aren't at war- it was the lightning."

Or

"Madam, I assure you, no one in authority had an itchy finger and pressed the red button!"

« Reply #20 on: 03 February, 2014, 11:41:20 pm »
Aye, love that movie. Peter Sellars also played multiple roles (five, I think) in Lolita.

Possibly my favourite deadpan line from Dr Strangelove is "if you don't get the president of the United States on that telephone... you'll have to answer to the Coca Cola company".