Author Topic: Monster Panniers  (Read 1125 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Monster Panniers
« on: 25 June, 2014, 02:18:38 pm »
Anybody ever seen the Basil Newspaper panniers in action?  I've been so curious ever since I first came across them online, because they are huuuuge (45x30x31 cm and each pannier has 42L capacity).

There's some chap in Chester who uses them on a Yuba Mundo:

(Embedding image seems a bit broken atm, so linky)
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Monster Panniers
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2014, 02:37:13 pm »
We saw a pair on a Yuba Mundo which I rode when we were at Practical Cycles.  They made us laugh, because they are so huge, but they would be pretty useful for a lot of things.

You need to think carefully about mounting them on an ordinary bike, though, as they aren't cut away at the front.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2014, 03:04:43 pm »
If I use panniers that are 20l I try to get 25l in them, I wouldn't like to try those on any bike. I'd fill them them with so much useless 'just in case' crap I'd never pedal it.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2014, 03:36:25 pm »
All the posties here use them, and the people who deliver the paper recycling advertising material.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2014, 06:51:10 pm »
If I use panniers that are 20l I try to get 25l in them, I wouldn't like to try those on any bike. I'd fill them them with so much useless 'just in case' crap I'd never pedal it.

To be fair, at 84 litres, that's more than a full set of Ortliebs (back rollers + front rollers = 65litres).  Well into cargo-hauling territory rather than the sort of thing you'd just ride around with.

If you want to lug that much stuff around on a normal bike (rather than something like a Yuba), I think you'd be better off with a trailer.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2014, 07:53:10 pm »
I have no justification for buying these panniers or a bike which might accommodate them,  but I love the fact of their existence  The pics of those panniers on the Yuba are the cycling equivalent of monster truck.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2014, 10:17:01 pm »
That Yuba Mundo looks like it needs Honda's flat 6 to drive it, but will probably wheelie when human powered.

Very cool way to go shopping

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2014, 03:58:35 am »
The Yuba is very easy to ride and surprisingly can fly along. Also I've carried people in those panniers lol. My friend Alix owns one :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium