Author Topic: Replace inners or everything?  (Read 886 times)

Replace inners or everything?
« on: 23 June, 2014, 01:25:56 pm »
Indexing is becoming problematic on my tourer presumably due to cable stretch (3 years) and twiddling with cable adjustment does not seem to make a hell of a lot of difference. So am about to replace cables, but, should I replace outers as well?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Replace inners or everything?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2014, 01:33:50 pm »
Cable 'stretch' is the outers bedding in.  It tends to happen when they're first installed, rather than with age.  Problematic indexing after time is more likely to be either the inner fraying (perhaps inside the shifter), or accumulation of corrosion/gunk in the cable (unless it's something unrelated to the cables, of course).

I'd start by replacing the inner.  If the old one is obviously knackered, the outer may be okay.  If it's full of crud, you can flush it through with lubricant, but I've found that to be a temporary solution at best, and new outers are the only proper solution.

I note that the arrangement of cables on the bike makes a huge difference to how long the outers last (assuming that inners are destroyed by shifters at about the same rate) - bar end shifters plus under-seat steering is a recipe for cables that fill with water, while the outers last for ages on the bike that does the worst of the foul weather, because the cables stay dry (it's only the loop to the rear mech that tends to accumulate gunk).

« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2014, 02:00:57 pm »
Also check for chain stretch. 

I had a case where changing became very sloppy as the chain links become slightly looser and the chain tended to stick on the ring it was already on - new chain fixed it.

Ultegra 10 speed chains are now only £14.49 on W1ggle - not much more than a good 7 speed chain.

« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2014, 02:10:25 pm »
Chain is of recent vintage but point well made.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2014, 02:39:00 pm »
After working perfectly for over 5 years, the Dura Ace gears on my Moulton now can't be adjusted to work both up and down, so I've bought a set of Clark low friction cables for a tenner, inner and outer. Hopefully that'll sort it once I get a round tuit.

The chain was changed a few months ago and the hanger looks straight, and cleaning and lubricating the existing cables didn't help.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2014, 03:56:08 pm »
I suppose it depends on your mileage and if you are riding in horrible weather but I find cables last about a year, maybe 2 years for outers.  After that they either rust or get choked with muck and mess with the shifting.  The exception was on my Alfine bike which did 2 years of horrible lane commuting and was still perfectly ok at the end.  I guess Alfine works different to dérailleurs

« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2014, 03:29:11 pm »
After working perfectly for over 5 years, the Dura Ace gears on my Moulton now can't be adjusted to work both up and down, so I've bought a set of Clark low friction cables for a tenner, inner and outer. Hopefully that'll sort it once I get a round tuit.

The chain was changed a few months ago and the hanger looks straight, and cleaning and lubricating the existing cables didn't help.

Today I finally got a round tuit and changed the inner and outer cables, and the changes are now fine. On the workstand, anyway; it's peeing with rain so I'm not going out to try it.

It was a luxury to work on the bike in our newly decorated lounge.

The new carpet is being fitted on Tuesday.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2014, 07:29:08 pm »
I have vague memories of the spring in a derailleur getting rather floppy with age, causing problems with shifting. It mightnot be the cables.
I may just be having a senior moment!