Author Topic: Brand new wheel hub/ cone adjustments?  (Read 1090 times)

Brand new wheel hub/ cone adjustments?
« on: 04 July, 2014, 07:29:36 am »
With a new out-the-box wheelset, what do people normally do to get them ride ready.  i.e. repack the bearing with grease, and adjust so there's the tiny bit of play - which goes away after tightening up the quick release, or, just check everything's smooth and pop them on...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Brand new wheel hub/ cone adjustments?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2014, 07:38:21 am »
I just fit rubber, attach to bike and ride.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:07:11 am »
Would always check there's enough grease and adjust properly - I've seen too many hubs totally borked from lack of grease and/or proper adjustment from the factory.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:48:35 am »
While in practice I'm idle (though generally with s/h hubs and wheels anyway), I've seen enough reports of dodgy setups to convince me that checking at least bearing adjustment is a good idea.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:01:43 am »
While in practice I'm idle (though generally with s/h hubs and wheels anyway), I've seen enough reports of dodgy setups to convince me that checking at least bearing adjustment is a good idea.

This, in spades.  When Mr Torslanda turns up I am sure he will fill you in on his experience, especially with Shimano factory built wheels.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:11:35 am »
Depends on the hubs.   If they are loose ball hubs, definitely.   Cartridge bearings, nah.

I remember having a conversation with Harry Rowland, the renowned and truly excellent wheelsmith when buying Mlle PB's tourer wheels.  His unequivocal view was that the brand new XT rear hub 'will need adjustment'.   

« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:19:41 am »
The consensus among mechanics is that no matter what the model Shimano hubs are inadequately greased when new, and that they could be adjusted better. (Hence HR's comment to PB).

« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:49:40 am »
What wheelset did you get Andy?

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:23:38 pm »
Thanks all.

Only Shimano R501; inexpensive (~£70 from Merlin), but apparently half decent.  A definite upgrade on the wheels the bike came with at any rate.   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:44:39 pm »
Thanks all.

Only Shimano R501; inexpensive (~£70 from Merlin), but apparently half decent.  A definite upgrade on the wheels the bike came with at any rate.   :)
No doubt, should be a good upgrade!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:36:45 pm »
With a new out-the-box wheelset, what do people normally do to get them ride ready.  i.e. repack the bearing with grease, and adjust so there's the tiny bit of play - which goes away after tightening up the quick release, or, just check everything's smooth and pop them on...   :)

Always check/readjust adjustable bearings (you can't trust anyone else to have done it), but no need to check the grease with Campag hubs.  :smug:

I don't do anything with cartridge bearings if smooth.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●