Author Topic: Brooks saddles are for louts!  (Read 2503 times)

Julian

• samoture
Brooks saddles are for louts!
« on: 19 September, 2008, 07:33:56 pm »
It's true, I read it in the cycling freesheet in Oregon.

They seem to have a similar problem to London in that there has been a recent surge of people taking up cycling, who run red lights and stop signs, mow down grannies, invade Poland, take your pick.

What interested me was that in the list of things deemed Bad were brakeless fixies (endangering others, well, fair enough), no head protection (whatever), running red lights, running stop signs, riding on the pavement, no lights at night and "riveted leather saddles."

Brooks over here are a fashion statement, much like Rapha, I think, and confined to the granny-mowing community.  ;D

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: Brooks saddles are for louts!
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2008, 07:44:54 pm »
I have just become the owner of a (virtually) unused Brooks B17.

Now where's me slippers and pipe gone?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2008, 08:01:16 pm »
Brakeless fixies?
Brooks saddles?
and no helmets?

Are they all riding Ordinaries?
Andy Gates?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2008, 08:24:11 pm »
Reporting for duty (though currently more fused to my triathlon bike - alas no leather, ample brakes, and perfect road and race rule compliance, hell I even wear a Magic Hat). 

I'll be sure to bring the neighbourhood down later.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2008, 08:31:52 pm »
Reporting for duty (though currently more fused to my triathlon bike - alas no leather, ample brakes, and perfect road and race rule compliance, hell I even wear a Magic Hat). 

*ahem*

I seem to remember a rather natty thread on removing 'lawyer lips' from ones forks Mr G
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2008, 08:47:41 pm »
Brooks are for louts - that's hilarious. Next thing we know, all the Fakengerati will be sporting mudguards, racks and de rigeur duck cotton bag, fiddling with their map holder and adjusting their Sam Browne belt just so.

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2008, 09:11:12 pm »
I seem to remember a rather natty thread on removing 'lawyer lips' from ones forks Mr G

Took mine off with a grinding wheel.

« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2008, 10:17:13 pm »
Brooks are for louts - that's hilarious. Next thing we know, all the Fakengerati will be sporting mudguards, racks and de rigeur duck cotton bag, fiddling with their map holder and adjusting their Sam Browne belt just so.

It's the ones wearing "plusses" you have to watch. Absolute hooligans they are. Much worse than your typical ASBO hoodie.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2008, 08:28:03 am »
They invade unsuspecting cafes demanding extra milk and top-up hot water, stay there for an hour filleting a single teacake and then grumble about the price when paying.  Frightens the regular customers, I tell you.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2008, 10:59:04 am »
As for the smell......................twenty year old polyester, I tell you..
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2008, 12:18:53 pm »
They wear faded team jerseys with "FAGOR" and "7-Eleven" written on them.  The first one is obviously a declaration of the rider's sexual orientation and the second one may well refer to Gary Glitter's personal predilections. 

These people are worse than Hitler, I tell you.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2008, 12:40:11 pm »

*ahem*

Is that not legal?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 22 September, 2008, 05:55:45 pm »

It's the ones wearing "plusses" you have to watch. Absolute hooligans they are. Much worse than your typical ASBO hoodie.
I have been known to ride my fixie wearing a hoodie

« Reply #13 on: 22 September, 2008, 06:12:55 pm »
They wear faded team jerseys with "FAGOR" and "7-Eleven" written on them.  The first one is obviously a declaration of the rider's sexual orientation and the second one may well refer to Gary Glitter's personal predilections. 

These people are worse than Hitler, I tell you.

Hides his "Lotto" jersey he's had since he was 15. :-[

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 22 September, 2008, 07:31:20 pm »
I still wear a 1992 Lotto cap.  Encourages gambling, you know.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 22 September, 2008, 09:05:13 pm »

*ahem*

As long as the lawyer doesn't object.  Which he's hardly able likely to do with those bulldog clips attached...

Is that not legal?

..d
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.