Author Topic: Near-miss Irony  (Read 1723 times)

Near-miss Irony
« on: 18 September, 2008, 10:38:43 pm »

I was just riding the Bike Friday tandem home from work, heading up a hill at the University of Virginia. A driver was waiting to pull out of a lot, with the nose of her car out in the bike lane. I got closer and closer, figuring she must have seen me. When I was 10 feet or less away, she pulled out in front of me to get into traffic. It was only the fact that I was going uphill solo on a tandem that saved me from slamming into her car.

Of course, this great maneuver got her about 75 feet before she had to stop at a light. As I passed, I noted that her "XYZ Baptist Church" license-plate holder had some words in quotation marks on the top:

"I Didn't Come Here To Do You No Harm."
 :o  ::-)  >:(

scottclark.photoshelter.com

Re: Near-miss Irony
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2008, 10:44:11 pm »
I assume the hospital insisted on that wording as part of her terms of release.

Did you say anything as you went past?

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2008, 10:51:51 pm »

Not the first two times, but by the third time I passed her the quote was driving me nuts and I yelled something horribly eloquent like "EEGUGAWARGUBLUG!!!"

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2008, 11:06:27 pm »
I was hoping you'd asked her what she thought it meant...

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2008, 04:10:38 am »
L'esprit de l'escalier.

Actually, her windows were all up.

« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2008, 10:50:28 am »

Not the first two times, but by the third time I passed her the quote was driving me nuts and I yelled something horribly eloquent like "EEGUGAWARGUBLUG!!!"

Speaking in tongues, eh? Did yer head spin and yer bike lift itself into the air?

I reckon she was trying to exorcise you.
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."
- Petrarch, 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux', 1336

Fi

« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2008, 06:31:38 pm »
Double negative: she did come here to do you harm and certainly made the attempt.

« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2008, 04:54:52 pm »
Speaking in tongues, eh? Did yer head spin and yer bike lift itself into the air?

Only after I let go of the rattlesnakes.

Double negative: she did come here to do you harm and certainly made the attempt.

My thought exactly.