Author Topic: Faceache data usage  (Read 1262 times)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
Faceache data usage
« on: 27 February, 2015, 10:36:47 pm »
What's with the huge amount of data used by Faceache? We just looked at my wife's data usage and it seems Faceache has used up 950MB of data in a week. Last week it used another 950MB.

She insists she hasn't been watching videos on it, so how the hell does it use a gig every week? Is it just another reason to despise Zuckerberg and his empire?
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Re: Faceache data usage
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2015, 08:19:46 am »
She may not have been deliberately watching videos, but it is possible for them to be set up to play automatically.
On my iPhone that only happens on wifi, on the iPad it doesn't happen at all, so it's not an obvious setting (I haven't changed the settings on either as far as I know).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:03:49 am »
Yup, Auto-play videos

Go to App Settings, scroll down and the setting is obvious, I set it to never after a couple of embarrasing moments when I was scrolling through my fachache feed only for some stupid video to start and blast out music.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:17:18 am »
Ta - just turned that off. There was one of those 'xxx likes facebook' bollocks with a video, 'cept the video was just locking up arsebook as it tried to load (poor wifi/mobile data in this bit of the house).

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:40:45 pm »
Thanks,  she had autoplay enabled. Stupid default, just one more reason to despise faceache.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:54:18 pm »
I think the Facebook app can use a lot of data in the background, even when you are not actually using it. ie checking for notifications etc.
So make sure you switch off data when you're not using it.
Or uninstall the Facebook app, just use the mobile version of the website instead.