Author Topic: A little Local Knowledge part 2. Where to cycle near Hull.  (Read 2125 times)

essexian

A little Local Knowledge part 2. Where to cycle near Hull.
« on: 08 June, 2015, 10:16:42 am »
Hi again.

Next month (July 22nd), I am undertaking my last ever business trip (my employer thinks we can do everything from our desks now without seeing the whites of our branches managers eyes……..) to Selby. I understand it’s lovely and flat around there so once again I am going to take my bike with me and do a day’s cycling.

I am after some local suggestions for rides. The two I have in mind are Selby to Hull via the Humber Bridge (I think you can cycle it) and then getting the train back (although I hate Transpennine trains with a passion!) Or finding somewhere to park east of Hull and then heading for a forty or so mile ride down to Spurn Head and back. Any route suggestions/places to visit apart from Spurn Head gratefully accepted: With Selby to Hull I’ll simply follow the cycle route.

If these two ideas are crap, can anyone else suggest a ride based around Selby, Hull or that sort of area I should consider? NO HILLS PLEASE! 

Re: A little Local Knowledge part 2. Where to cycle near Hull.
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2015, 10:29:55 am »
The Planets Path up to York from Selby is a decent, flat ride. You can call into Clarion's local (the Blacksmiths Arms at Naburn) for spam fritters on the way back :D

You can ride the Humber Bridge, by the way, and it is worth it. I'm not sure it'd make a great route from Selby, since (from memory) you're condemned to riding a few a-roads and rat-runs, or taking preposterous diversions to avoid them. Someone who knows the area better can hopefully provide better advice!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2015, 12:45:01 pm »
Absolutely recommend the Humber Bridge.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2015, 02:32:07 pm »
why stick to the flat stuff?! ;)

selby isn't that far from the yorkshire wolds, and the Sustrans Wolds Way is a beautiful route - you could maybe start at market weighton, head out to the coast at Bridlington? the whole thing is about 150 miles, and is comfortably do able in 2 days, but I'm guessing you don't have that long!?

essexian

« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2015, 02:40:32 pm »
why stick to the flat stuff?! ;)

selby isn't that far from the yorkshire wolds, and the Sustrans Wolds Way is a beautiful route - you could maybe start at market weighton, head out to the coast at Bridlington? the whole thing is about 150 miles, and is comfortably do able in 2 days, but I'm guessing you don't have that long!?

Hi

Sounds lovely but.... I only have a day and then have a 120 mile drive home so 40 miles would be my maximum for the day: don't want to fall asleep when driving!

Also, at 125kg, I simply don't do hills...anything more than 250 foot or 5% is normally beyond me!

I quite like the idea of the Planets but living 70 miles or so from the sea, I do like to get out by the coast, hence the two  suggested rides.  Ta for the suggestions so far.

« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2015, 05:52:57 pm »
There is a old railway line now cycle path that runs out of hull to towards the coast .might be worth a look and would be flat.

« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2015, 06:05:41 pm »
I did the Sustrans route from York-Hull a few years ago (it goes via Selby) - not sure I'd recommend it, though, as I was on a hybrid and found some sections a bit rough. Definitely wouldn't do it on a road bike.

There's always the latter part of the York-Hull FNRttC route, which goes via Goole and Flixborough - though having ridden some of the parts round Swinefleet and Ousefleet in daylight, I found them incredibly dull. I didn't ever think there could be such a thing as too flat until I rode that bit!

« Reply #7 on: 08 June, 2015, 06:43:29 pm »
If you want a lovely and reasonably flat ride then the sustrans route across the Wolds to Bridlington is pretty good.  The only big hill is out of Market weighton, but if you are driving there, there are a couple of car parks where you could start from not far from Market Weighton.  There are a couple of decent cafes near Driffield  and its mostly really quiet.   Would be happy to help you with the route if you need it

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 08 June, 2015, 07:20:41 pm »
I didn't ever think there could be such a thing as too flat until I rode that bit!

There speaks a person who's never ridden along Forty Foot Bank into a soggy headwind.  At least Ousefleet has that pylon to keep things interesting.

As a rule I find that cycling in places named after drainage is usually a bad idea.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #9 on: 08 June, 2015, 09:13:44 pm »
If you really want flat, then stay along the river, or no further than Market Weighton. the Wolds NW of Hull and Lincs Wolds just to the South of the Humber aren't mountains but do roll up and down a bit. Scenic though.
 I love crossing The Bridge, though it leads quickly into the hills to the South.
 Lots of quiet flat back roads East of Hull and Beverley, and the decent 65 trail to Hornsea. The Withernsea rail track East lacks width and surface once out of the city (I live on that route) and isn't passable over all of its original route to Withernsea.

« Reply #10 on: 08 June, 2015, 09:17:47 pm »
The Yorkshire Wolds aren't that hilly (once your on them) provided you go east west (or vica versa). Its North to South that they are hilly. They are basically a series of dry valleys and all of them just about run east west.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #11 on: 08 June, 2015, 09:29:17 pm »
Malton to Filey via the Wolds would be nice. About 25 miles. Malton -> Settrington -> Settrington High Street (not actually in a town but on top of the Wolds) -> West Lutton -> East Lutton -> Helperthorpe -> Weaverthorpe -> Butterwick -> Wold Newton -> Hummanby -> Filey

Leave your car at Malton Station then get the train back from Filey via Scarborough.

There is a climb out of Malton but thats not too bad. Walk up Settrrngton High street its a killer but once at the top no more real hills just gently rolling countryside with big skys. Its all B roads once you leave Malton bar a couple of miles on the coast road between Hummanby and Filey.
Be warned there are no shops at all between Malton and Hummanby so take drinks etc. There are a couple of pubs in the villages but they may or may not be open during the day.

essexian

« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2015, 02:38:03 pm »
Hi All

Many thanks for your suggestions. One more question if I may. Am I right in thinking that there are no other crossings downriver from the Humber Bridge on either the Trent or Ouse until you reach either Gunness or Goole? I can't see any bridges but wondered if there were any ferries etc.

It does seem a long way without any way of crossing the rivers if there aren't any....suppose I could always swim it with my bike tied to my back....... nah.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: 14 June, 2015, 01:44:26 pm »
Correct. Boothferry bridge is the first west of the Humber Bridge on the Ouse. The Ouse Bridge is about a mile east but that only carries the M62 you cant cycle over it.

« Reply #14 on: 14 June, 2015, 06:06:57 pm »
Have a look at the area around Wheldrake, Skipwith and the roads along the river Derwent. Can't get any flatter, much more scenic than Swinefleet/Ousefleet, hardly any traffic and you could ride from Selby so maximise your time on the bike.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #15 on: 14 June, 2015, 06:29:34 pm »
Have a look at the area around Wheldrake, Skipwith and the roads along the river Derwent. Can't get any flatter, much more scenic than Swinefleet/Ousefleet, hardly any traffic and you could ride from Selby so maximise your time on the bike.

Just stay away from Skipwith Common! :hand:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2015, 07:38:48 pm »
JonJo makes a good suggestion.  If you want to ride to Beverley for a cafe stop, that's also nice. 

If you want to do the Humber Bridge, the route through Goole to the south end is pretty miserable like Deano suggests.  Go there staying north of the river cross the bridge going south, have a cafe stop at the Water's Edge Country Park and then re-cross the bridge and head to Hull for the train.

« Reply #17 on: 15 June, 2015, 03:18:18 pm »
Just stay away from Skipwith Common! :hand:

I'm intrigued. Why stay away fro Skipwith Common?
Hear all, see all, say nowt