Author Topic: PBP: Bag storage in Paris  (Read 2883 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
PBP: Bag storage in Paris
« on: 10 January, 2015, 03:45:34 pm »
I s'pose this is something les anciens just know all about, but us first timers have no idea ... where can you store your aprés-cycle luggage while riding PBP?

At the moment it's looking most likely that Mrs W and the little w's won't be joining me in Paris, so I won't have the convenience of a soigneur to look after my kit and caboodle while I'm riding.  Is there an official left-luggage service?  Or is this something that has to be arranged with your hotel?  If so, do all hotels offer this facility?  I am currently considering either riding down or taking the Eurostar, but should I drive instead and leave everything in the back of the car?

TIA.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: PBP: Bag storage in Paris
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2015, 03:50:48 pm »
Most bigger/ better hotels will have a room set aside for bike storage before/ after PBP and will allow riders to store their bags there during the event.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2015, 04:09:32 pm »
Easiest to take a bike trailer and carry it with you.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2015, 04:45:52 pm »
On LEL I was roughing it (slept on the grass, even though I don't think we were supposed to) and so did not have anywhere to leave kit, but there was a room (I think on an 'at your own risk' basis) at the start for a limited amount of storage.  If I get there, it is unlikely that I will be able to get a hotel - do people 'in the know' think that it will be OK to leave a bag of clothes at the start snook away in a broom cupboard somewhere?  I suppose the alternative would be to put it in the bag drops - I'm assuming that there is one or two bag drops.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2015, 04:56:18 pm »
No official bag drops, unless it's different this year.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2015, 05:23:45 pm »
I s'pose this is something les anciens just know all about, but us first timers have no idea ... where can you store your aprés-cycle luggage while riding PBP?

YHPM

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2015, 05:28:06 pm »
We left our street duds in the car in the allocated parking-space. Safety in numbers.

With 5000+ riders, bag drops would be hell for the organizers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 10 January, 2015, 05:49:50 pm »
Mostly I stayed on the campsite. On the startday most people checked out with 'my tent stays here, I'll return, don't know when'. After finishing you went to your tent and all your kit was still there just like you left it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:51:18 pm »
This time we're going with a camping car. No idea what we're going to do with it, presumably the organizers will tell us.

« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2015, 11:26:42 pm »
There was a left luggage room at the gym in 2011.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:39:18 pm »
This time we're going with a camping car. No idea what we're going to do with it, presumably the organizers will tell us.

There was a designated parking place last time.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2015, 04:42:55 pm »
Most bigger/ better hotels will have a room set aside for bike storage before/ after PBP and will allow riders to store their bags there during the event.

Top tip - make it a specification of your reservation.  The store room at the Ibis in Versailles filled up and I had to throw my best gallic strop to get them to accept my bag.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2015, 09:39:46 am »
Received the following from the ACP this morning:

It will be possible to let a luggage in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines velodrome (and even a bike box) before the start and to get it back at your arrival.

Cordialement / Regards
ACP / Thierry RIVET

Going to have to buy M. Rivet a beer, he's been very helpful over the last couple of months.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #13 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:03:21 am »
My plan is to carry everything I need before, during and after the ride on the bike all the time.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #14 on: 21 June, 2015, 10:20:27 am »
Received the following from the ACP this morning:

It will be possible to let a luggage in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines velodrome (and even a bike box) before the start and to get it back at your arrival.

Cordialement / Regards
ACP / Thierry RIVET

Going to have to buy M. Rivet a beer, he's been very helpful over the last couple of months.

Thanks, already passed the info on to the Geman forum.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #15 on: 21 June, 2015, 04:13:46 pm »
I booked an apartment 8km away from the start where I can leave my stuff.  So if you are confident of making it back by 9am Thursday I can look after stuff for you  :smug:
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #16 on: 21 June, 2015, 04:15:39 pm »

What's the best German forum for Audax related things? I'm a regular on rad-forum.de, but Audaxing is a fringe topic there.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #17 on: 21 June, 2015, 05:01:10 pm »

What's the best German forum for Audax related things? I'm a regular on rad-forum.de, but Audaxing is a fringe topic there.

Even worse, audax is frowned upon by some of the loud people on rad-forum.de. I left it ages ago.

At www.rennrad-news.de/forum there's aven a subforum for audaxing.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #18 on: 25 June, 2015, 01:42:00 pm »
I may make use of the bag storage as I'll have a small amount of "civvies" in a small backpack as part of my ride to the start and back.

Alternatively I may just dig out some of my old, worn out, gear and use it sacrificially along the route to Paris.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 25 June, 2015, 02:50:05 pm »
My van will be parked in the motorhome park for the duration. Happy for folks to dump any stuff they want in there - bike boxes, that kind of thing.