Author Topic: Cycling in the Alps - What Equipment?  (Read 1536 times)

Cycling in the Alps - What Equipment?
« on: 01 July, 2015, 10:13:43 am »
Little Jim Jr likes downhill biking (probably because he is lazy so doesn't need to pedal) and has been to Morzine for the last 3 years with his mates.  This year they can't get holidays to coincide so he is friendless.  I said that if he was desperate I would go with him.  Turns out he is desperate.  There is no way I am using a DH bike there, but there does look to be like quite a bit of decent road cycling in the area.  We were talking about it last night and I said that I would get some leg warmers to take, but he assures me that it is just as warm at the top as the mountains aren't that high (I am not convinced!) and I also said I would buy a café lock to secure the hire bike (I'm not trusting mine to the baggage handlers) but he reckons that bike theft there is almost non-existent.  Again I'm not convinced.

So: what should I take with me?  I've got warm and cold weather gear, arm warmers, gillet, waterproof(ish) etc, but I can't stuff everything in my pockets and I'm not buying a Carradice for one week.  We are going for the last week in August (after which Morzine seems to be shut until it snows)

Ben T

Re: Cycling in the Alps - What Equipment?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2015, 10:34:03 am »
You can get cold on descents so good idea to have long finger gloves, either a long sleeve jersey/arm warmers, and possibly a gilet, unless it's really hot... which it can be, but is no means guaranteed.
Reason you get cold on descents there in a way that you don't in the UK is more due to the length of descents than the speed you're doing.

If you're hiring a bike see if you can hire a bar-bag plus fixings as well with it?

« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2015, 10:40:48 am »
Thanks Ben, good idea about the bar bag, I'll ask about it when I book the bike today or tomorrow.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2015, 11:04:04 am »
Take your own pedals for the hire bike. Possibly take your own saddle too depending on your comfort needs.

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2015, 12:30:48 pm »
Jim jnr has it about right, around Morzine at least the temperature differential isn't great - I went in 2002 and it was warm and sunny. We were doing kinda XC stuff, ascending on bike or using up lifts to get initial altitude. - so managed to go a reasonable distance off-road - and on-road too in a few cases.  Cold certainly didn't figure AFAIR, and there was one spot which was pretty high up.   Think I might have had a windproof or old knitted-style helly thermal in my Camelback but that was it, 'cos that's all I took other than a few jerseys and shorts.

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:43:10 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions.  I am still using Look Delta pedals so I definitely need to take them, but I will look into the saddle supplied with the bike.

Glad to hear that junior isn't trying to catch me out!  Sounds like I will be able to get away with arm warmers and gilet most days.

« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:17:10 pm »
I'd factor in the possibility of a late afternoon thunder storm.

« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2015, 04:02:33 pm »
I agree with Ben T. Last year we were in the Dolomites (not sure how the height compares) and had some quite cold rainy days (and some snow at high altitude). On the day my son and I hired road bikes for the Sella Ronda the weather was pretty poor and I was, at times, exceedingly cold. This year I'm taking my little pack-away (cheapo Decathlon) jacket (and/or gilet).

You'll probably know on the day what the weather will be like, but if you can take a jacket or arm/leg warmers to France then I certainly would.

LR

« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2015, 04:54:42 pm »
...... but I can't stuff everything in my pockets and I'm not buying a Carradice for one week.

Try this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-handlebar-bag-25l-id_5994533.html

Velcro fastens onto handlebars and allows all the relatively light stuff you mention to easily fit for the cold descents.  Loads of Decathlon stores in France and a 'staple piece of kit' to be found in them.  A fair few continental risers use them on PBP with their bling bikes along with a slightly larger saddle tool kit/spare bag.

« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2015, 05:03:48 pm »
More good advice - Veloman, I'll look out for one of those, should be able to get to Decathlon before we go.

P. W. yes, afternoon thunder storms in the mountains... my usual tactic is to try and be back at base or in a café by that point of the day, and LittleRob (we are not related are we? :) ) the chalet where we are staying has free Wi-Fi and English owners, so one way or another I ought to be able to get a good weather forecast before I set off.  I'm not keen on long days in the saddle when it's pouring down so will be investigating the local cultural highlights in that event.  In Morzine I would imagine that wont take up too much time though.

« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2015, 05:09:32 pm »
More good advice - Veloman, I'll look out for one of those, should be able to get to Decathlon before we go.

They work very well as you can also easily remove to take with you.  I have used them extensively and consider it one of the best pieces of kit I have purchased.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2015, 05:16:24 pm »
Last time I rode up an Alp the temp diff was 1°C. But:

The weather can sneak up on you very quickly in the mountains, usually because it's hiding behind on e waiting to pounce.  Rain jacket & long gloves at a minimum.

I've seen days where the cloud base was at 600m and I've climbed through it into brilliant sunshine. The plunge back down again can be cold, especially with sweat-soaked kit.

A few of us carry supermarket bags in a back pocket.  If you're going down without a jacket you put it inside your jersey next to the skin - the modern equivalent of newsprint.  It keeps out the draught, and by the time you get down the wind has dried your jersey. True, the bag doesn't smell too nice after it's been used a few times, so give it to someone to use for their sandwiches and get a new one.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2015, 05:48:50 pm »
Two pictures, one day..

The cyclists in the picture had been driven up and were just doing the descent.  The one at the back had the right gear but t'other just had shorts and a windcheater.

It hadn't been hot at the bottom but certainly it wasn't cold and wet either.  I was quite well kitted out but the summit cafe was vital, even so when I left I was still very wet if slightly warmer.  I knew that faster I descended the better (descending wet is a chilly business - the important thing is to keep your hands operable so you can brake when you need to, it also helps a lot if you have mudguards so you are not blinded by spray). Once down to 'normal' altitudes it was lovely and by the time I reached a campsite I was dry again. 

Much the same up the Tourmalet. Pleasant at the bottom then rain, snow shower at the top then sleet and torrential rain down to the hotel where there was a shortage of hot water.

It's great fun though, perhaps more so in hindsight!

Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2015, 10:01:03 pm »
...... but I can't stuff everything in my pockets and I'm not buying a Carradice for one week.

Try this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-handlebar-bag-25l-id_5994533.html

Velcro fastens onto handlebars and allows all the relatively light stuff you mention to easily fit for the cold descents.  Loads of Decathlon stores in France and a 'staple piece of kit' to be found in them.  A fair few continental risers use them on PBP with their bling bikes along with a slightly larger saddle tool kit/spare bag.

Mrs E has one. It's good for the small things; gloves, shades, phone...etc. And it doesn't interfere with STI cables.

« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2015, 07:20:21 am »
re weather the rule is that 14/07-15/08 the weather is generally predictable. Outside these dates snow is not unknown at altitude. The BRA regularly attracts bad weather on the Galibier and catches cyclists out. That said we are in a record-breaking heatwave (29° at midnight at Limoges last night). If you are going high take leg-warmers and a waterproof and check the weather each day in the morning.

« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2015, 07:51:46 am »
Do NOT underestimate how cold a descent can be --- two weeks ago descent in Pyrenees, ( an area noted for sun and warmth  ;) ) 5c, raining and I got very cold with set of clothing I`d normally consider for a very cold UK winters day (knee warmers + legwarmers, baselayer + arm wamers + l`sleeve merino + rainjkt + heavy winter rainjkt + winter gloves+ overshoes). In same area it`s now 30-40 c, and on day in valley it was 25 c and sunny .....

So be prepared and be happy if you don`t need all kit. I`ve ridden in Alps / Pyrenees areas several times and until last couple years had fallen in trap assuming it was , being summer, sunny and warm until last two years when met poor weather on the high cols and rapidly changed that assumption  ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2015, 11:44:01 am »
Little Jim I was a bit dopey yesterday (only yesterday!) and failed to spot your name ;-) I don't know about you, but I'm 6' 1.5" (1.88m) so not that little. There is a "Big Rob" who is 6'5" hence my name as the smaller of the 2.

As for the comments on the descents I think the phrase "Type 2 fun" probably covers it. That said, on our Dolomite trip, when the weather finally cleared the descent from Passo Gardena back to Corvara was something else though my lad descends (ascends, and goes on the flat) faster than I dare.

Note: Last year I bought a Wallace and Grommit "Keep Up Lad" riding top. Anybody want to buy it - cos he's rubbing my face in it ;-)

LR

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #17 on: 02 July, 2015, 12:25:49 pm »
as others said the weather at altitude can change very quickly and sometimes dramatically. even if it's baking hot during the daytime (~40 degrees) it can go below 10'c the same night with the fog/mist in the valleys. i'd be checking weather forecast before going out each time.