Author Topic: Early entry to London Edinburgh London 2017  (Read 33490 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Early entry to London Edinburgh London 2017
« Reply #175 on: 19 September, 2015, 08:41:06 pm »
It is curious the way that helpers rides seem to be developing -- I think they used to be just the odd rider who helped route check the week before the ride , or were actually manning a control and providing TLC on the day.

Now in some cases they seem to be seen as an alternative option to paying for and doing the ride on the calendar day, without actually being a helper at all.  It is my perception that some East Anglian rides have definitely gone down this route - with significant numbers riding together before the event.

Turn it into a Perm - or a DIY on the same route -but  paying a  fee to the organiser for the work he has done as well as the DIY cost -- seems fairer to me that calling it a helpers ride - when there is no actual help being provided.

Well, I'm happy either way.

If you need help for the event I'll do that, as I've volunteered already, but I'd also like to ride too. With a route check and a week at a control, I'm happy. I get both things done and you get a volunteer at any control of your choice, provided I can get there without spending loads of money, for the week.

Seems like a fair trade to me.

I'm not trying to get to ride LEL for free and do nothing in return.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #176 on: 19 September, 2015, 08:42:45 pm »
It is curious the way that helpers rides seem to be developing -- I think they used to be just the odd rider who helped route check the week before the ride , or were actually manning a control and providing TLC on the day.

That is what I understood by a helper's ride. Route checking and/or for folk manning a control for the actual ride.

Granted, given the numbers likely to be helping LEL in this way, the helper's ride could be a sizeable contingent (if it were to happen, hypothetically).
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #177 on: 19 September, 2015, 08:47:14 pm »
Just to be clear, the helpers ride is solely for the organiser and other people helping on the event to obtain validation. It is not for people who can't make the ride date, fancy a cheaper option or want to ride round with their mates.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #178 on: 19 September, 2015, 08:50:51 pm »

Now in some cases they seem to be seen as an alternative option to paying for and doing the ride on the calendar day, without actually being a helper at all.  It is my perception that some East Anglian rides have definitely gone down this route - with significant numbers riding together before the event.

Turn it into a Perm - or a DIY on the same route -but  paying a  fee to the organiser for the work he has done as well as the DIY cost -- seems fairer to me that calling it a helpers ride - when there is no actual help being provided.
I know what you mean and it is a valid point.  Personally I would only do a helpers ride if I was a helper (which I am on LEL) and if I were the Org.   would expect to only have helpers on a helpers ride.  I think that is pretty much what the regs. say on the topic too.  Route checking on its own is a grey area; clear enough if you have spent two or three weeks toiling up and down the country checking over sections of the ride.  Less clear if you ride the helpers ride and say you are 'checking the route' eh whilst doing so.
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #179 on: 19 September, 2015, 09:10:55 pm »
I don't think anyone so far, as I know, has misunderstood the concept of The Helpers Ride for homologation of LEL 2017.

It's not mentioned in the volunteers page and I'd like to know if it's available, if my offer of help at a control for the duration is accepted by Danial.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #180 on: 19 September, 2015, 09:14:35 pm »
I was commenting generally -- not about LEL -- we are still years away from helping on LEL -- maybe this was more obvious this year because of PBP
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #181 on: 20 September, 2015, 12:08:19 pm »
Just to be clear, the helpers ride is solely for the organiser and other people helping on the event to obtain validation. It is not for people who can't make the ride date, fancy a cheaper option or want to ride round with their mates.

Aye, that's what I'd understood.

Not sure how it would work out cheaper mind you: riders essentially feeding themselves at commercial stopping off points; paying for commercial accommodation. Unless of course some riders just carry their own food round with them and bivouac in ditches/fields by the side of the road...   ???

Anyway, I'm just mentioning this hypothetically for the moment. To volunteer for a control, and additionally undertake a 'no frills' unsupported version of LEL (presumably prior to the aforementioned volunteering) is a substantial time commitment for any individual, I should think.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #182 on: 22 September, 2015, 08:47:07 am »
To volunteer for a control, and additionally undertake a 'no frills' unsupported version of LEL (presumably prior to the aforementioned volunteering) is a substantial time commitment for any individual, I should think.

And runs the risk of starting your control duties in a sleep deprived state, which is something that I'm going to have to take on board, as this was my current plan.

« Reply #183 on: 22 September, 2015, 08:49:57 am »
I suppose there is also scope for someone to support the unsupported ride.  As Juvenal (definitely not of this parish) might have said "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #184 on: 22 September, 2015, 08:51:15 am »
To volunteer for a control, and additionally undertake a 'no frills' unsupported version of LEL (presumably prior to the aforementioned volunteering) is a substantial time commitment for any individual, I should think.

And runs the risk of starting your control duties in a sleep deprived state, which is something that I'm going to have to take on board, as this was my current plan.
I think I am right is saying that a helper riede can be up to 2 weeks away form the event itself??
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #185 on: 22 September, 2015, 11:24:56 am »
Although a couple of hardy folk did ride the entire route as a route check in 2013, many more of us rode local sections of the route as LEL-by-DIY — so long as you stayed on the prescribed route, you just had to do the distance and submit any routing questions/issues to the route organiser, thereby getting in a nice 200 (or longer) and contributing to the route check without having to commit to five days of self-supported fast touring.  AFAIK it was reasonably successful and I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen again from late 2016 onwards.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #186 on: 22 September, 2015, 11:48:37 am »
I think I am right is saying that a helper riede can be up to 2 weeks away form the event itself??

For a ride this long (homologated by LRM) yes. Shorter rides it's only a week either side, can't remember where the cut off between the two is (1000km?).

There was much clamour for, and interest in, a helper's ride in the run up to LEL 2013. In the end it was just Pat and Don who rode it. Many people did various DIY perms to check various bits of the route in advance but only those two rode the whole thing in as a single ride to get homologation for the ride proper.

Route checking on its own is a grey area; clear enough if you have spent two or three weeks toiling up and down the country checking over sections of the ride.  Less clear if you ride the helpers ride and say you are 'checking the route' eh whilst doing so.

I don't see why it should be a problem for a ride like LEL. Helpers rides are far harder mentally (people are more likely to DNF given the lack of support and encouragement), physically (for those that ride as a group and share the work out) and logistically (having to manage proof-of-passage and plan places to eat/stay) all of which can take more time than simply falling asleep on a school canteen table seconds after eating the food that you didn't even have to pay for.

But, more importantly, allowing people onto the helpers ride will get more people doing long distance cycling since the space they would have taken up on the ride itself can go to someone else. This works for LEL because it is guaranteed to sell out with the riders limited to the numbers they are.

For rides unlike LEL allowing more and more people onto the helpers ride may reduce rider numbers on the actual day, so I can see why some organisers wouldn't want that, but they still need to keep a few people happy who are helping on the day or being the one or two people performing the route check. But if a group of 10 riders want to ride the week before because they genuinely can't turn up on the day (even to help) then I'd rather have them out doing a big group route check than not riding at all (although I'd expect them to pay some, but not all, of the entry fee).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #187 on: 22 September, 2015, 01:35:24 pm »
Although a couple of hardy folk did ride the entire route as a route check in 2013, many more of us rode local sections of the route as LEL-by-DIY — so long as you stayed on the prescribed route, you just had to do the distance and submit any routing questions/issues to the route organiser, thereby getting in a nice 200 (or longer) and contributing to the route check without having to commit to five days of self-supported fast touring.  AFAIK it was reasonably successful and I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen again from late 2016 onwards.

I think this is an approach I could see working for me.

I've decided to volunteer for LEL2017 instead of riding it. So getting a cheeky 200 in (or maybe more) would suit me nicely.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #188 on: 23 September, 2015, 05:28:38 pm »

For a ride this long (homologated by LRM) yes. Shorter rides it's only a week either side, can't remember where the cut off between the two is (1000km?).

I think Les is right.  From the Organisers' Handbook:

• Organisers and helpers may ride up to 15 days before the event, or 7 days afterwards.
• The Helper’s Ride is only for those who help on the day – it is not a scheduling alternative for those who are unable to ride on the day

And this is covered by AUK Regulation 7.2.1(b).  While that is an AUK regulation, I understand it they matches ACP regulations (but I really can't be bothered reading those!) so would apply to all classes of events (BP, BR, BRM, LRM).

Having said all this, if I were to ride LEL 2 weeks before LEL proper, the sleep deficit would still be a factor for me, bearing in mind that I'd be finishing only just over a week before the start proper.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #189 on: 23 September, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »
It doesn't actually match ACP/ LRM practice. They have a 2 week window for helper's rides, either all before the event or a week either side. AUK took both limits, giving a 3 week window.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...