Author Topic: Which linux front end look windows ish  (Read 959 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Which linux front end look windows ish
« on: 03 November, 2015, 12:28:44 am »
and will run on a atom processor with 1gb ram?

The atom d255 I want to get up a runnign had issues with the wifi stuff so put in a draw and gave up.  Any ideas of which linux front end looks and behaves windows enough that a user wouldn't notice?

Re: Which linux front end look windows ish
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2015, 06:16:50 am »
Xfce comes close to a classic Windows 95 look and feel but needs some configuration, e.g. move the panels around

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2015, 06:19:38 am »
"that a user wouldn't notice"  - no , not in my experience. PuppyLinux can be purportedly made to be look like a windows install (and is a light distro) but any experienced windows user won't be fooled.

« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2015, 09:03:42 am »
Mint doesnt look like windows but it's simple and friendly. Anyway, win 8/10 don't look like windows!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2015, 07:30:53 pm »
That depends on the user.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2015, 11:20:59 am »
That depends on the user.

^ this.

An anecdote: my son had a RPi set up in the dining room with kb and monitor. My mother (now 80), who was staying with us at the time, needed to check her e-mail so casually sat down, opened the web browser and proceeded to log in. It was only when her webmail didn't display properly that I had to explain what was going on. To many people, a computer is simply a tool and as long as the layout is similar and the basic features are there (browser, e-mail, word processor etc) it won't really matter that it doesn't look exactly the same as the one they used before.

My vote would be Mint or Ubuntu with XFCE or similar lightweight front end.
Pen Pusher

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2015, 02:39:04 pm »
To many people, a computer is simply a tool and as long as the layout is similar and the basic features are there (browser, e-mail, word processor etc) it won't really matter that it doesn't look exactly the same as the one they used before.

The problem is that to many people, a computer is simply a tool and if the layout is different in any way from what they're used to, or the basic features aren't where they're expecting them to be, they assume they don't know how to use it and give up.  I assume this is the difference between being computer literate and rote-learning[1] an interface.  A bit like the people who'll only drive Fords because they can't get the hang of other manufacturer's dashboard layouts.

If they're not too resistant to learning how to use what is for them a *completely different* computer, you can teach them where things are and they should be able to get on with it, but may need hand-holding through every unexpected difference.

It's not really about Windows vs Linux, anyway.  Anything that causes a change can be a problem, from a OS upgrade that massively changes the GUI paradigm (Ubuntu being notiorious for this, but now Microsoft are just as guilty) through routine software updates that rearrange the menus of their mail client, to someone moving the icons around on the desktop.

[1] My anecdotal experience is that the rot set in with GUIs for the rote-learners.  There was a time when you could give them a cheat-sheet of keyboard commands, and they'd be happy.