Author Topic: How long with viral illness?  (Read 4288 times)

Re: How long with viral illness?
« Reply #25 on: 26 December, 2015, 03:37:25 pm »
First day of managing to get out of the house, although was pretty tired after a short walk.  Hopefully will be well enough to cycle 20 miles on Monday and bag 6k km for the year.

I sometimes wonder if we've lost the notion of what it is to actually 'rest' in this 'doing' modern world.

I had a nasty sinus infection early October which lasted weeks. After a while three weeks, when discharges started getting very green and very foul tasting, I thought it best to pay the doc a visit. After a quick examination, his attitude was, 'well looks like you've got a sinus infection here, so I'll give you a ticket for some Amoxicillin, but as you've been dealing with it for three weeks, well...it's up to you, I'll let you make the decision.' So I didn't bother in the end.[That's two courses I've now got sitting here unopened!].

What got me thinking was I remember being told as a kid to rest if I'd got a cold [how boring etc], but these days with our obsession to be 'doing' all the time, it feels like an antiquated notion to give time to yourself to actually do sweet nothing, and is no longer relevant to maintaining health. During this bout of illness, I knew I was really run down and tired - working too much, drinking too much and sleeping too little, but was ignoring the fact. Go figure. If you're going to put a bit of faith in your immune system, then you've got to give it a bit of love, and rest up, so it can marshal the resources to do its thing.  [I'm not finger pointing at anybody here btw, only myself].
I'm struggling to find argument with anything VB has posted above ^.