Author Topic: Frame repairs and resprays  (Read 1222 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Frame repairs and resprays
« on: 28 July, 2019, 09:16:58 pm »
The down tube on my Dawes Horizon has cracked where I bashed it into a multi story car park a few years ago, so I'm thinking about having it repaired.

I've never had a bike repaired before though. Is there anything I need to know before doing this, or are there any recommendations of who I should think of going to?

I'm going to need a respray as well, so I imagine they can be done together?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Re: Frame repairs and resprays
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:21:11 pm »
Steve Goff is close(ish) to you and gets good feedback for builds, so I'd say he's worth a try.

Winston Vaz (ex Roberts, now trading as Varohna Frameworks) gets excellent reports for repairs, though his brother's paintjobs attract more mixed reviews. I'm close enough to act as middleman (and could do with the excuse to visit with a bent frame of my own) if dealing by post seemed tricky.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:28:28 pm »
You have a decent chance of the repairs costing considerably more than an identical replacement frame. The repairs consist of cutting out the damaged TIG-welded tubes of the front triangle and replacing them. Isn't the seat tube also damaged? Refitting the existing seatstays and chainstays to a new front triangle is not easier than just fitting new stays.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:32:46 pm »
Another vote for Steve Goff for resprays. He did a beautiful and reasonably priced job on my one and  only custom 653 steel frame a couple of years ago. Excellent attention to detail, nice guy to deal with.
I can't comment on repairs but, as a well regarded frame builder, I imagine he knows what he is doing.
Edit: but, as LWaB says, replacing your down tube plus the inevitable respray could work out more expensive than a new frame.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2019, 11:05:34 pm »
You have a decent chance of the repairs costing considerably more than an identical replacement frame. The repairs consist of cutting out the damaged TIG-welded tubes of the front triangle and replacing them. Isn't the seat tube also damaged? Refitting the existing seatstays and chainstays to a new front triangle is not easier than just fitting new stays.

Only the down tube is damaged, but yes there is a good chance it will cost more than a frame replacement. A frame replacement would also let me do things like switch to disc brakes should I choose to.

However, as this was my first proper touring bike, and it's still my favourite bike, I'm tempted to at least see whether it can be repaired.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2019, 06:45:07 am »
If it's welded, forget it.  Brazed and lugged frames can be pulled apart fairly easily but welded ones can't, and the heat needed to re-weld the existing tubes will probably ruin them.  Goodness knows what it would look like when finished.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:06:24 am »
I’ve done this a couple of times. Phone your preferred builder, Steve Goff is a good choice, email a picture of the damage and he’ll tell you if it’s worth fixing and how much it would cost. Then all you have to do is to choose your colour, strip the frame and send it off.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo