Author Topic: Interlinked fire alarms  (Read 5322 times)

Re: Interlinked fire alarms
« Reply #50 on: 23 December, 2021, 08:14:14 am »
So - when installing these things, where's the best place to put them on the ceiling? Googling suggests the closer to the middle, the better - but do people really have them in the middle of the ceiling in their living rooms? ??? They're not exactly decorative (but then, nor is my artex ceiling, I suppose).

« Reply #51 on: 23 December, 2021, 08:34:17 am »
It should come with placement instructions but as long as they aren’t in a dead-spot when it comes to smoke travel, you will be fine.  In general, in a standard flat ceiling room, just avoid placing them within a foot or so of the walls / corners, not near big light shades or obstructions etc and not in tight alcoves. I have mine in the middle of the ceiling and I only notice it when the led occasionally catches my eye.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #52 on: 23 December, 2021, 10:59:46 am »
So - when installing these things, where's the best place to put them on the ceiling? Googling suggests the closer to the middle, the better - but do people really have them in the middle of the ceiling in their living rooms? ??? They're not exactly decorative (but then, nor is my artex ceiling, I suppose).

Big sticky pad installation method then?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 23 December, 2021, 01:33:21 pm »

How often do you actually look at the ceiling, thobut?

Exhibit A: Detector on beacon/sounder base.  It's quite noticeable when it's flashing, but pretty unremarkable the rest of the time, other than to tradespeople with an interest in smoke alarms.  A typical audio-only consumer smoke detector is a lot less sticky-outy.

Exhibit B: Ceiling Cat.  Went unnoticed by Postman Piers (who has the finely-tuned peripheral vision of a native sign language user) for the best part of a day, and by assorted CrinklyCubs for almost a whole hour.

Obviously since it's your house, anything new will stick out like a sore thumb for a day or two before blending into the background.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #54 on: 23 December, 2021, 05:48:42 pm »
Ours isn't in the middle of the lounge because there's a light fitting there and it said to site so far away. I only really notice what's on the ceiling when I'm grovelling on the floor doing pilates.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #55 on: 09 January, 2022, 08:05:39 am »
Mine arrived yesterday. They're much smaller than I was expecting! I was thinking the smoke alarms would be similar in size to the standard battery-operated ones, but these are tiny. I don't think they'll look too bad.