Author Topic: Getting back into the UK with an EU passport  (Read 989 times)

Getting back into the UK with an EU passport
« on: 27 June, 2022, 08:15:44 am »
My daughter's going on holiday to Croatia with her friend. She has dual UK/Hungarian citizenship. We've applied for a new passport, as her current one expires on Thursday. They're flying at the end of July. It's touch and go whether her new UK passport arrives in time for then.

So, will she have any problems flying back from Croatia using her Hungarian passport? Would it be worth taking her expired passport with her as proof of UK citizenship?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Getting back into the UK with an EU passport
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2022, 09:02:10 am »
To quote: "All British Citizens have the right of abode in the United Kingdom. If, as a British Citizen, you wish to travel on a non-British passport it must be endorsed to show that you have the right of abode. Otherwise, you might experience difficulty proving your right to be re-admitted to the United Kingdom."

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/798226/Dual_nationality_information.pdf

Summary, expect some hassle and the possible need to visit the port armed with evidence that she's your daughter.

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2022, 09:18:17 am »
I wouldn't rely on having an expired passport as proof of right of entry. There have been incidents of airport officials not understanding the law and blocking people trying to re-enter the UK.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2022, 11:15:08 am »
So, the link above (thank you) gives an out-of-date number that advises one to search for UK VI. That throws up 152,000 results. They don't make things easy, do they?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2022, 11:21:44 am »
It should be ok. 

My wife has German / UK dual nationality.  She doesn't have a UK passport.  She's never had any issues getting back into the UK on her German one.  However, she has been asked if she has residency a couple of times (once by Dutch border police last year, once by UK border people this year).  Each time, saying that she had UK nationality was enough and was not challenged.

We agreed that, if she looked different (black, young / male, Roma, etc, etc) things might not have been so easy, and it probably was time to get a UK passport to save future hassle. 

My daughter has dual nationality and had only a German passport to begin with but I got her a UK one earlier this year to avoid any such issues.

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2022, 11:53:06 am »
An afterthought - is she flying? Did she use her Hungarian passport details when booking the flights?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2022, 11:58:52 am »
Yes, she'll be flying. I'm not sure the booking has been made yet. I'll ask if she's passed on her details to the third party.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2022, 12:20:04 pm »
Two things:

1: The airline in Canada needs to know that they have a passport valid for entry to the UK before letting them on the plane, to avoid a fine. A current EU passport is valid-- the UK is a lot less rigid than the EU on letting people visit, despite the claims made.

2. Conversation at the passport desk: probably won't happen.  EU passport holders, again in a much less rigid way than the EU is towards UK arrivals, can use the e-gates.

2a. If said chat DOES happen, it will be like this:

BFO: Where you arriving from?
DD: Croatia
BFO: Purpose of visit?
DD: I live here
BFO: On the EU settlement scheme?
DD: No. Dual national; here's my old UK passport, a new one's been ordered.
BFO: Ta. Have a good one. Next!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2022, 12:21:33 pm »
Very reassuring, thanks Steph!

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2022, 04:09:06 pm »
I’m more worried about my lack of evidence of settled status.  I plan to have my two British children with me as hostages backup.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace