Author Topic: Poor Mr Smith  (Read 2738 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: Poor Mr Smith
« Reply #25 on: 09 February, 2023, 01:16:58 pm »
I guess food prep is more difficult that cooking since only the latter can be done one handed. When a friend busted her wrist, I went round once a week and spent half an hour chopping veg and storing it in an assortment of transparent plastic tubs in the fridge. Veg kept fine like that for a week. There's ready chooped stuff in the supermarket but opening the packaging can be tricky one-handed. I believe more take-aways were consumed that month.

Washing up is quite a challenge. Didn't really find a way to make that easier apart from filling the sink and leaving stuff to soak which meant it needed less work for the actual washing up. Using a washing up brush was easier than a sponge or cloth.

Taking a bath much easier than a shower. If getting out of the bath seems too risky, washing at a large tub of water in the kitchen may allow you to stay seated.

If drying off with a towel is impractical, donning a towelling dressing gown and then just wriggling a bit seemed to work well enough.

Others here may have experience of voice input to make 'typing' on a PC easier. For instance, that could be a way to do special characters that require a key to be held while another is pressed. Dragon is one such software IIRC.

Reading a book can be made easier with a book stand.

My friend did well at the 'attitude adjustment' her injury required. I think she relished the sense of achievement of previously simple tasks. Me I'm not so patient, though I'd like to be. My own experience with a fracture (without a cast) was that healing took time; mobility improved and the pain 'alerts' decreased, but progress seemed slow and that was frustrating. Nonetheless stuff that was physically tricky in the first fortnight became _just_ doable three weeks later. In hindsight, my advice to myself might have been 'make fewer demands of yourself' and 'be patient'.