Author Topic: Rivets/spacers on cassettes (was a misguided question about parallel drop-outs)  (Read 1629 times)

Re: Is it really important that the drop-outs are parallel?
« Reply #25 on: 13 September, 2023, 10:03:20 pm »
This is a 7 speed cassette on an 8 speed freehub.

I have now found some old spacers with cut outs/bends to accommodate the rivet heads. They are narrower than the one I was using, but putting two together seems to do the trick. There's still some wonk in the sprockets, but nothing the floating jockey wheel can't handle.

(The spacer I had been using had no cut outs, which was causing the problem.)

But just putting 2 rivets in seems daft. Presumably saves a tiny amount of money  :-\
The only spacer that I have ever bought for that specific application (7sp cassette on 8sp freehub) does indeed have three little cut-outs. I never stopped to pose the question "why?" I might still be able to find it in the junk in the garage! I don't think it was an official Shimano spacer though, more likely something after-market.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Ooh. Is it now going spare, mzjo?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

I really wasn't planning to get rid of it (it's the sort of thing that stays in a box for years then, the day after you pass it on to someone else is the day you find you need it and a replacement is impossible to find!).

However, thinking back I think it was a Halo one and a bit of searching tonight has thrown up this https://www.halowheels.com/shop/spares/hub-spares/7-speed-cassette-spacer/ (amongst others with either little studs on the inside or little holes, presumably to accomodate rivets). I didn't get mine through the Halo shop and it was just plain silver anodised but it was over a decade ago!

I note that SJS stock the Wheels one which is just a plain spacer with no provision for the rivets and is also quite pricey for what it is (like a good bit of the unusual bits and pieces stocked by SJS)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
I note that SJS stock the Wheels one which is just a plain spacer with no provision for the rivets and is also quite pricey for what it is (like a good bit of the unusual bits and pieces stocked by SJS)

They also stock the Jtec one with the cutouts, that I linked earlier for £2.99...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Indeed. And in reply to my enquiry SJSC pointed me to the same one. I’m just a bit peeved that the postage is more than the spacer and - had I known I was going to need it - I could have added it to the original order.
Anyway, my running repair is good enough until I have a larger order for SJSC.

I really wasn't planning to get rid of it (it's the sort of thing that stays in a box for years then, the day after you pass it on to someone else is the day you find you need it and a replacement is impossible to find!).

We think alike.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Indeed. And in reply to my enquiry SJSC pointed me to the same one. I’m just a bit peeved that the postage is more than the spacer and - had I known I was going to need it - I could have added it to the original order.
Anyway, my running repair is good enough until I have a larger order for SJSC.

We think alike.
I found it this morning in passing in the garage. It's doing duty as a spacer on a ss conversion on a 26" wheel hanging from a nail!