Author Topic: posting CD's  (Read 2499 times)

posting CD's
« on: 29 December, 2008, 08:41:48 pm »
Having entered the world of mp3 players, I'll be shifting a load of my CD's before long and was looking at ebaying the more marketable ones.  Typical postage rates for CD's on ebay seem to be £1.50 - £2.00.  But how would you expect to receive a posted CD (assuming normal hard plastic CD case).  Jiffy bag?  Lots of corrugated cardboard? Special box?

Thoughts welcome before I start advertising.

Ta
Q

Dave

Re: posting CD's
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:44:59 pm »
Amazon send them out in corrugated cardboard "envelopes".

I've had them from eBay/Amazon Marketplace in jiffy bags without ever having any problems. And Jiffy bags are a whole lot easier to get hold of.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:54:16 pm »
I think corrugated cardboard envelopes give the case better protection against crush damage.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2008, 09:02:31 pm »
I usually send them wrapped once in cardboard and then inna jiffybag.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:09:02 pm »
I just put them in a jiffy bag.  No complaints so far.  You could send a replacement empty case in the unlikely event of damage.

Keep the total thickness to no more than 25mm and it'll count as a Large Letter rather than a Packet.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 30 December, 2008, 01:21:57 am »
I put mine into my loft - that way I've still got the rights to play them.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2008, 09:27:40 am »
I was thinking something similar. Not being judgemental in any way - but if you still want to own the songs rather than just be in possession of them, then you need to keep the CD's. Otherwise you may as well just download everything you want via torrents.

There is another point. The CD's are a very good backup of all your music. Plus you can always re-encode from them if better formats come along in the future.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2008, 09:39:32 am »
Having entered the world of mp3 players, I'll be shifting a load of my CD's before long and was looking at ebaying the more marketable ones.

The one thing I would suggest is to be absolutely sure that you have adequate back up of your mp3 files before parting with your CDs - make sure you aren't caught out by any DRM restrictions on transferring them to another player some years down the line.

The CDs themselves make pretty good back ups  :)

(Oops, should have read the post upthread which said the same thing)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2008, 09:41:19 am »
Yes, rip them to mp3 or ogg, not any proprietary format (this includes using iTunes or Windows Media Player, which may add DRM).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2008, 10:29:10 am »
I put mine into my loft - that way I've still got the rights to play them.  ;)

+1

The return for the eBay effort/time + fees (incl Paypal) is barely worthwhile given the "new" price of CDs and therefore the s/h value.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2008, 04:33:15 pm »
If I sell CDs, I use Amazon rather than ebay.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #11 on: 30 December, 2008, 04:42:29 pm »
Cheers for all your thoughts.

I've backed everything up to an external hard drive anyway, and was more fussed about clearing some space.  The loft is an option, but I'm just not big on hanging on to loads of possessions gathering dust if they could be doing someone else a lot of good.  I'll hang on to some special CD's as double back up, to be sure to be sure, but I think I'll clear the rest.  If they're worth sweet FA then Oxfam are going to do well out of me.

C

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 30 December, 2008, 05:57:16 pm »
For best quality and future compatibility, rip to FLAC, then convert to MP3 or whatever.  It means you only have to rip your CDs once.  See Recommend an audio CD converting to a MP3 esque  

The return for the eBay effort/time + fees (incl Paypal) is barely worthwhile given the "new" price of CDs and therefore the s/h value.

I find it's still worthwhile for some CDs, and now is a good time to do it if you ever will.

If I sell CDs, I use Amazon rather than ebay.

Is it more profitable?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●