Author Topic: Twitter ye not  (Read 3123 times)

Twitter ye not
« on: 28 May, 2009, 08:56:55 am »
I am doing a 400km DIY tomorrow night. Think I might micro blog it on Twitter as a test for LEL

Crash!

or

mseries (mseries) on Twitter

my route will take me through some 'dark zones' though so there will be gaps in coverage, fret ye not.

Re: Twitter ye not
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2009, 09:12:14 am »
I'll follow you - make sure you make it entertaining  :P

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2009, 09:18:58 am »
I'll follow you too.

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2009, 09:30:58 am »
looking forward to your tweets Martin.

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2009, 09:32:59 am »
Cool. Starting at 2100 BST. I'll not tell you the route so you can have the excitement of trying to predict where I am heading next.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2009, 09:40:03 am »
Following online.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2009, 07:58:44 am »
How was it for you ?

After Carlisle we entered a 'dark zone' and each time we stopped (and when I checked) I had no signal. We progressed through Penrith, Appleby, Kirby Stephen and Hawes. After Hawes signal resumed but at that stage in the ride I was tiring,  just riding and more focused on calling Mrs M than tweeting. I was starting to get a little anxious about the time too.  I called her from a phone box in Hawes as I  saw a few missed calls from her, the first time in several years that I have used a phone box ! I'll do a RR later

Looking at my tweets it seems to look OK, so I think I shall use this for LEL when my American colleagues and family will be keen on following me.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2009, 10:42:51 pm »
As a novice twitter - i thought that I would sign up follow you and see what I learnt.
Worked for me - but I am desk top only -can not follow on mobile
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2009, 08:09:47 am »
A yACF helper at a control - given a couple of spare minutes (may be hard to find) - could provide updates too; about those riders they recognise anyway.

« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2009, 08:56:39 am »
Worked for me - but I am desk top only -can not follow on mobile

That's all I'd expect folks to do !!

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2009, 08:57:29 am »
A yACF helper at a control - given a couple of spare minutes (may be hard to find) - could provide updates too; about those riders they recognise anyway.

At Coxwold ? Very poor/non existent reception for mobile phones there. :(

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:28:18 am »
Cool. Starting at 2100 BST. I'll not tell you the route so you can have the excitement of trying to predict where I am heading next.
Are the times borked?

# Off we go leaving Leeds
1:00 PM May 29th from web
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:33:40 am »
I suspect the times are in a different timezone, 8 hours behind, Pacific Time perhaps, I'll see if there are any settings in my Twitter. They were sent from mobile too.

EDIT: Adjusted timezone. Looks OK when I am signed in !

« Reply #13 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:20:36 am »
I get 9PM when I look at it.

Settings -> Account (the default tab) -> Time Zone. Mine is set to (GMT) London.

If I remember correctly, it defaults to Pacific, which would be 8 hours out.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 01 June, 2009, 12:09:28 pm »
Yep, I think you're both right. Guest users are assumed on pacific time.

(Another evil plot tp make me register on some god-awful website I will never use again ....  )

I suggest all AUK-related twittering be done on PST, so voyeurs don't have to register ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2009, 01:22:58 pm »
I thought I would test this too, but using 'geotweets' that should hopefully log my position as well as time. I will be testing this for the first time on Saturday's Rural South. Assuming I remember how to use my mobile, I have a signal and don't run out of power, you should be able to view this map of tweets (no twitter account needed). Alternatively, my twitter name is jwoLondon for a more conventional view of progress.

« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2009, 02:20:40 pm »
I thought I would test this too, but using 'geotweets' that should hopefully log my position as well as time. I will be testing this for the first time on Saturday's Rural South. Assuming I remember how to use my mobile, I have a signal and don't run out of power, you should be able to view this map of tweets (no twitter account needed). Alternatively, my twitter name is jwoLondon for a more conventional view of progress.

GeoTweets, I like the look of that. Will read about it this afternoon and maybe try it over the weekend on The Border Raid

red marley

« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2009, 02:37:15 pm »
I am using GeoTweeter for the iPhone but you can geotweet on a device without GPS by dragging a map icon before posting.