Author Topic: Route advice: Gloucs to Portsmouth  (Read 2426 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Route advice: Gloucs to Portsmouth
« on: 25 March, 2009, 06:01:57 pm »
I'm going to be riding from Stroud area to Pompey the day before the IoW Randonee and I'm seriously thinking about making this ride into a DIY 200km. The direct route is about 110 miles, so it looks like judicious placing of Controls will be fairly easy.

The route is roughly Calne, Devizes, Salisbury, Chandlers Ford(ish)

I'd be grateful for any suggestions for routes over this area. I've recently done the WWH and Cheltenham Flyer, so I'm pretty happy to get to Calne.
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Route advice: Gloucs to Portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2009, 06:25:10 pm »
I'm seriously thinking about making this ride into a DIY 200km..

He's mad ferrit!

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2009, 06:27:19 pm »
We are going Calne, Devizes, Salisbury, Lymington on our tour later this summer. I have a route planned in Tracklogs but it isn't based on any local knowledge, just what looks like a nice route. If you can read Tracklogs you are welcome to a copy of it if you want.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2009, 06:30:15 pm »
I have Tracklogs, so that would be great!

Thanks.

J

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:53:43 pm »
From Salisbury to Pompey, the last two section of the Denmead 300 would fit the bill, via Ower services. This finishes in Denmead but it is only a quick hop over Portsdown Hill to get to Portsmouth or you can divert off route at Wickham to the Portsmouth road.

I've scanned the Denmead 300  and can send it on to you if you PM me an email address.

H

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:57:37 pm »
Calne onwards, I'd go Bishops Cannings, Etchilhampton, straight over Black Heath to the Bustard (assuming it's a weekend and the ranges are open),  Shrewton, Stapleford, Great Wishford, Wilton, Salisbury or Old Sarum, Pitton, Middle Winterslow, Kings Sombourne, Winchester, Morestead, Meonstoke, Soberton Heath, Southwick, Pompey

Autoroute shows 176km from Nailsworth, going via the A360 'cos it doesn't have Black Heath on. You can go Calne, Pewsey, Amesbury, Wilton, which ups the validated distance to 185km, with nice roads close to the main roads for not much extra.

So, assuming a 200km route that will pass validation, and having a play in Autoroute, how about this for a suggestion...

Controls:
Nailsworth, Pewsey, Fordingbridge, Winchester, Meonstoke,  Pompey  :- Autoroute reports 200.4km
("Pompey" being located by the entrance to the France/Spain ferryport)

The actual route goes N, Avening, Long Newton, Malmesbury, Sutton Benger, Calne, Bishops Cannings, Pewsey, Upavon, down A345 to Salisbury & A338 to Fordingbridge, B3078, Bramshaw, Romsey, Braishfield, Winchester, Morestead, Corhampton/Meonstoke, Soberford Heath, Southwick, Pompey.
Problems:
It comes up 3km short if you can't get a control in Corhampton/Meonstoke (probably a postcard job?). Following the Avon valley lanes instead of the A345 between Upavon and Salisbury adds 5km. (via Fittleton, Bulford, Amesbury, Wilsford, Woodfords)
Following the roads on the east of the Avon instead of the A338 adds 5km (via Aldebury, Downton, Woodgreen, Breamore)

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2009, 01:21:19 pm »
Following the Avon valley lanes instead of the A345 between Upavon and Salisbury adds 5km...........Following the roads on the east of the Avon instead of the A338 adds 5km

It all sounds good but it's certainly worth those extra 10kms to swap the A345/A338 for the lanes....much nicer.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2009, 01:34:08 pm »
If those are the ones that go through Netheravon (I'm away from my maps at the moment!) then I'd go that way.

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 26 March, 2009, 05:01:12 pm »
Morestead to Corehampton is a horrible road as cars tend to be doing 70mph and it's very narrow (and quite busy).  Much nicer to go Twyford, Owelesbury, Upham, Bishops Waltham, Soberton Heath, Southwick and then pick up the Portsdown Hill for final urban part into Pompey.

Before all that, Grateley, Over Wallop, Nether Wallop, Broughton, follow the river Test to Mottisfont and pick up the Denmead 300 trail from Kimbridge a while for a nice ride.

Hummers

« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2009, 09:01:17 pm »
Morestead to Corehampton is a horrible road as cars tend to be doing 70mph and it's very narrow (and quite busy).  Much nicer to go Twyford, Owelesbury, Upham, Bishops Waltham, Soberton Heath, Southwick and then pick up the Portsdown Hill for final urban part into Pompey.

Before all that, Grateley, Over Wallop, Nether Wallop, Broughton, follow the river Test to Mottisfont and pick up the Denmead 300 trail from Kimbridge a while for a nice ride.

He's not wrong, that Lee bloke.

The Morestead road is also something of a rollercoaster which is fine, if you fancy that at the end of your ride.

H

« Reply #10 on: 27 March, 2009, 06:09:12 am »
something of a rollercoaster

Understatement at its eloquent best!

Hummers

« Reply #11 on: 27 March, 2009, 06:54:27 am »
Salisbury to Pompey route on Bikely sent to you.

H

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #12 on: 27 March, 2009, 08:30:53 am »
Many thanks!

Hummers

« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2009, 08:50:09 am »
Many thanks!

You can use Lee's route to Kimbridge if you are not going to Salisbury.

H

« Reply #14 on: 28 March, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »
OK, had a review.
Nailsworth - Pewsey - Fordingbridge - Winchester - Pompey (Wightlink ferry, not town centre) is 201.8km by Autoroute shortest.

Lanes avoiding the A345 & A338 (mostly) adds 10km
LEE's Twyford, Owslebury route from Winchester (instead of Morestead/Bishops Waltham/B2177) adds 3.5km

So you get a reasonable route where you ride 215km (ish) and which passes validation as > 200km.
If you think of a nice 200km route, put in some controls, and send it in for validation, all that will happen is that your Perms Sec will come back with "sorry, only 185km - shortcuts here, here and there".

I'm sure that Grateley, Nether Wallop etc is a nice ride, but are you going to get a validated 200k permanent if you go that way? It's 20km shorter between Bulford and Romsey going that way rather than via Salisbury/Fordingbridge.
Similarly Salisbury to Pompey direct is 34km shorter than via Fordingbridge and Winchester, so where are the controls to enforce the extra distance going to come from? If you want to use the Denmead route between Salisbury and Pompey, you may have to do something like control in Cirencester & Malmesbury/Calne early on to get a distance that will validate.