Author Topic: Did you ride Fixed today ?  (Read 13193 times)

Re: Did you ride Fixed today ?
« Reply #50 on: 15 March, 2009, 08:37:20 pm »
LOL!  I still remember some clubman's face when I came down the leaves green hill at 185rpm.  His jaw was almost resting on his handlebars.  Normally I'd be "busy" at that sort of rpm, but for some reason this time I was super relaxed and called out a cheery hello as I went past.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 05 May, 2009, 09:27:50 am »
Yay!  I commuted on fixed for the first time on this route (and the first time since my accident) :D

It's a pretty flat route, and I felt very slow, as I need to redevelop my souplesse, but I still managed a creditable 23kph average and 40kph maximum.  Achievement of the morning though is passing someone gouing up Balham Hill despite having been stopped behind a truck at the Pelican at the bottom.

Stealth computer (under the saddle) means I'm not looking at numbers all the time, and just riding the road :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 06 May, 2009, 10:21:31 am »
Last night, I rode home by a slightly circuitous route to get my miles in.  Soe lovely spinning along, despite the headwind.  Climbing was a bit of a beast - especially at the end of Beddington Lane where it rises up sharply and I needed to be in the RH lane.  I dismounted for a bit to let a stream of cars past before I attempted it :-[  And then I was so flustered, I went through a red light :-[ :-[

Chugged up & over the hill, and took my feet off the pedals for the last descent before home, to see what speed I could get.  Clipping in as the whirrign pedals slowed, I was laughing out loud. ;D

This morning, though - and call me a wimp or a chicken (both are equally accurate) - I opted for gears, as we're off on a ride tonight, and I'm not sure how lumpy it will be :-[
Getting there...

Zoidburg

« Reply #53 on: 06 May, 2009, 05:25:10 pm »
Only a pootle today but monday took in a 40 odd mile cross border raid into Cheshire and back. It were very green and "shire" like.

« Reply #54 on: 06 May, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »
Yep. 25km commute to the office - in the wind and rain this morning. Forgot to bring a hat of any sort with me to Sweden, so had dripping hair. It's been wet outside all day as I've been cycling between offices (about 1km), but has dried up nicely now  ready for my ride back to the hotel. It's a touch on the draughty side out; with Skane being almost completely flat it should be an "interesting" ride - the Danish weather site claims it is going to be a 15m/s headwind....

« Reply #55 on: 06 May, 2009, 05:43:34 pm »
Not yet, but I'm off to the shops for my tea in a bit. Might head to the supermarket on the other side of town, get a few miles in.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #56 on: 07 May, 2009, 09:55:50 pm »
Yes, about 18 miles with the middle 10 miles flat out (it was a TT).  Using 48 x 15 and that chattering Dura-Ace sprocket is doing my head in.  I NEED a 15T EAI sprocket - they're so much better it's worth paying £8 more.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #57 on: 08 May, 2009, 12:02:14 pm »
I'm still getting endorphins thinking about how I rode through the lumpy peak district on a gixed gear last Sunday :)

And to think I used to say I wouldn't get a fixed because the area in which I live was too hilly!

« Reply #58 on: 08 May, 2009, 12:05:32 pm »
I'm still getting endorphins thinking about how I rode through the lumpy peak district on a gixed gear last Sunday :)

You are a budding ventriloquist  AICMFP.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

robbo6

« Reply #59 on: 08 May, 2009, 05:03:39 pm »
May i point out that the chap  who owns this used to live near a certain Tee junction. No-one lives in an "area too hilly for fixed".

Zoidburg

« Reply #60 on: 08 May, 2009, 05:54:07 pm »
Are any of my fellow loons doing the tunnel ride tommorow on fixed?

I have put the 20 tooth bail out sprocket on the other side just in case :-\

« Reply #61 on: 08 May, 2009, 06:43:18 pm »
not yet, but I do plan on riding tonights FNRttC on my 48 x 19 fixie, unless I bottle it to the 14 speed tourer.

« Reply #62 on: 08 May, 2009, 06:45:32 pm »
not yet, but I do plan on riding tonights FNRttC on my 48 x 19 fixie, unless I bottle it to the 14 speed tourer.

That will be fun going down Reigate Hill.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #63 on: 09 May, 2009, 06:56:12 pm »

That will be fun going down Reigate Hill.

Reigate hill wasn't so bad. Brakes deployed and max speed 51kph = ~150rpm

The climbs weren't as bad as anticipated either, not sure if I will ride fixed to Brighton next time or not.

Matthew

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: 11 May, 2009, 03:13:57 pm »
Ditchling on fixed was a struggle.  But Matthew and I made it  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #65 on: 11 May, 2009, 03:20:57 pm »
My accent was very stop start though.  :-[

I don't believe you stopped.  :thumbsup:

Matthew

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: 11 May, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »
I don't believe you stopped.  :thumbsup:

Only because if I had have done, I'd never have had the oomph to get started again.  Besides, going up steep hills - I change tack more often than an undecided jockey...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

gordon taylor

« Reply #67 on: 11 May, 2009, 07:04:04 pm »
Did I ride fixed today?
Yes, again.
It was windy and a real slog.
I want gears and a motor.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

« Reply #68 on: 11 May, 2009, 07:08:39 pm »
Yes, back onto the bike for commuting although the tree pollen is bloody annoying.

Early start tomorrow. Would be easier to do it by train but that's cheating.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #69 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:10:57 pm »
Yes, back onto the bike for commuting although the tree pollen is bloody annoying.

Really bloody annoying. However, the tailwind meant I went for it. Fastest commute of the year. 23:49 for 28.5kph. 180bpm HRav though. :/

« Reply #70 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:14:34 pm »
Did you ever have that cardiac screen you mentioned before you went to South America, Greenbank? Just curious as to how you found it.

Chris S

« Reply #71 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:15:38 pm »

Really bloody annoying. However, the tailwind meant I went for it. Fastest commute of the year. 23:49 for 28.5kph. 180bpm HRav though. :/

Well - you did better than me. Only 8c and blowing a gale here, so it was the turbo this evening I'm afraid.

« Reply #72 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:28:16 pm »
Did you ever have that cardiac screen you mentioned before you went to South America, Greenbank? Just curious as to how you found it.

Yup. Bimbled over to the Olympic Institute in NW London back in Feb.

Usual questionnaire about medical history, problems, etc.

12 point ECG. They were impressed by my resting heart rate of 45bpm (I usually get dreadful white coat syndrome).

Take ECG printout straight to on-site cardiologist who has a chat with you whilst reviewing it. All clear. No need for ultrasound echo. No abnormalities.

Mentioned my high heart rate, mainly as the reason for getting checked out, and they weren't concerned at all.  They offered to give me a holter monitor for 24 hours if I was worried about it, but since they weren't I'm not.

Handed "all clear" letter over to GP when there for other reasons and that's me all done.

The only oddity is that my HRM has twice given me readings over 200bpm when freewheeling down Danebury Avenue on the way to Richmond Park. Same spot both times (but not every time) so I'm guessing there's something blasting out pulses on exactly the right frequency to trick it. That's the only place it's gone a bit mental.

« Reply #73 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:35:41 pm »
Yes, commute into Edinburgh.
Well, that should read one third of a commute, in one direction.

Coming off the Forth Road Bridge, my chain decided to unship itself, wrapped itself around g*d knows what and went twang in 2 positions.
Was I cursing the bl**dy bike mechanic who checked the bike only last night.   (Oh! that'll be me then    :-[  )

After untangling the mess, I was faced with the prospect of walking home 5 or 6 miles, majority of which is uphill.

And I had to take the morning off work as holiday   >:(

The fixed is going away for the summer.

I want gears.

« Reply #74 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:55:48 pm »
Take ECG printout straight to on-site cardiologist who has a chat with you whilst reviewing it. All clear. No need for ultrasound echo. No abnormalities.

All very reassuring  :)