Author Topic: Lily Allen - like AND loathe  (Read 6851 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Lily Allen - like AND loathe
« Reply #25 on: 18 May, 2009, 08:40:58 pm »
Maiden have rather more proven talent and staying power

They've been going 30-odd years - you'd think they'd have got through puberty by now.

The thing about Iron Maiden is that they remind me why I'm glad I'm no longer a teenage boy. Lily Allen, on the other hand, makes me wish I still was a teenage boy...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:24:04 am »
Maiden have rather more proven talent and staying power

They've been going 30-odd years - you'd think they'd have got through puberty by now.

The thing about Iron Maiden is that they remind me why I'm glad I'm no longer a teenage boy. Lily Allen, on the other hand, makes me wish I still was a teenage boy...

d.

You'd better equip your fantasy world with supplies of tissues, Clearasil, bumfluff taches, and plenty of awkwardness then  :D 

« Reply #27 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:55:15 am »
Maiden have rather more proven talent and staying power, plus they can actually  play and sing live.

Yep, yep, yep...  :smug:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #28 on: 19 May, 2009, 10:21:26 am »
I like Lilly Allen's music / voice.  I have her album in Itunes and she comes up now and again on my shuffle. 

Mine too, normally in between Dana Scully and the blonde one off Baywatch  ;D

Don't you think she looks like her dad?

citoyen

« Reply #29 on: 19 May, 2009, 10:21:56 am »
You'd better equip your fantasy world with supplies of tissues, Clearasil, bumfluff taches, and plenty of awkwardness then  :D 

Yeah - what you've just described is the archetypal Iron Maiden fan and, like I said, Iron Maiden make me glad I'm not still a teenage boy.

Why Lily Allen makes me wish I was a teenage boy is for all the good things of being that age that she represents - a carefree approach to life, a sense of energy and vitality, that the whole world lies before you and anything is possible.

Iron Maiden may be competent musicians, but their music is puerile nonsense. Lily Allen's music is... well, blessed with a certain youthful naivety - but then she has the excuse that she is actually young.

Anyway, enough of this - I can't help thinking that arguing over who's better out of Lily Allen and Iron Maiden is utterly preposterous.

d.

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 19 May, 2009, 03:37:49 pm »
Maiden have rather more proven talent and staying power, plus they can actually  play and sing live.

+1 for Iron Maiden

citoyen

« Reply #31 on: 19 May, 2009, 03:45:09 pm »
All the way up to 11.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #32 on: 19 May, 2009, 03:45:39 pm »

+1 for Iron Maiden

+2

If I'd known about this we could have done an impromptu chorus of "Run to the Hills" on the BC at the weekend ;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #33 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:52:07 pm »
Is it wrong to fancy the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JgyFz-NY-NE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JgyFz-NY-NE&rel=1</a> in Mark Ronson's Oh My God video? ;D

Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #34 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:00:23 pm »
She's wearing a slightly short skirt for that Chopper.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eGUmD5hzx-8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eGUmD5hzx-8&rel=1</a>
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #35 on: 20 May, 2009, 03:17:57 am »

+1 for Iron Maiden

+2

If I'd known about this we could have done an impromptu chorus of "Run to the Hills" on the BC at the weekend ;)

Hold on.

Is that the Chillmoister (sporting a blonde wig) on the right?

H

citoyen

« Reply #36 on: 20 May, 2009, 10:03:31 am »
She's wearing a slightly short skirt for that Chopper.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eGUmD5hzx-8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eGUmD5hzx-8&rel=1</a>

@34 seconds - unfuckingbelievable overtaking manoeuvre by a taxi!

d.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #37 on: 20 May, 2009, 08:58:12 pm »
@34 seconds - unfuckingbelievable overtaking manoeuvre by a taxi!
A girl in a short skirt doesn't distract the truly professional eye of a cyclist.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #38 on: 20 May, 2009, 09:02:34 pm »
Lilly Allen came on the Ipod on the way home.  fnarr fnarr.
It was the sunshine above song, and it was perfect as the sun was shining on me.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 20 May, 2009, 09:06:05 pm »
I thought the one about 42s was worse.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #40 on: 21 May, 2009, 12:32:30 am »
I thought the one about 42s was worse.

That was the one I meant - down what looks like Greek Street or Frith Street or somewhere round there. Not sure why I put 34 seconds before, but bizarrely there is also a taxi overtaking at 34 seconds (looks like Hanover Square).

d.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #41 on: 27 May, 2009, 10:41:25 am »
Lily Allen calls Susan Boyle 'overrated' and says she doesn't have any talent...

This coming from a 'Pop Princess' who only got a break 'cos of Daddy and who isn't exactly noted for her vocal abilities...  ::-)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #42 on: 27 May, 2009, 12:09:34 pm »
That's not fair.

igmc.

citoyen

« Reply #43 on: 27 May, 2009, 12:46:49 pm »
This coming from a 'Pop Princess' who only got a break 'cos of Daddy and who isn't exactly noted for her vocal abilities...  ::-)

So you don't rate grade 8 singing as an indication of any kind of ability? Fair enough. How about the fact that she writes and performs all her own songs and can play assorted instruments to a decent standard (piano to grade 5, apparently) - that doesn't cut the mustard with you? Fine. She doesn't need me to stick up for her.

Yeah, she grew up in an environment where she got to hang around with people like Joe Strummer and Harry Enfield, which obviously gave her many advantages in life, but you can't hold that against her.

In any case, having seen Susan Boyle's substandard performance on the BGT semi-final the other night, I reckon Lily Allen has a point. I do enjoy BGT but if Susan Boyle is really the best the British public can come up with, I despair. That shy Welsh bloke also gave a pretty rotten performance the other night. I like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6GrOMLylvhQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6GrOMLylvhQ&rel=1</a> though.

d.

ChrisO

« Reply #44 on: 27 May, 2009, 04:34:39 pm »
Good for LA for saying it.

Susan Boyle is a good but by no means outstanding singer and certainly not up to the hype that has surrounded her. She does not have an amazing voice.

I've never quite understood the hype about her in the first place. So a fat ugly person can sing. Haven't any of these surprised people ever been to opera ?

« Reply #45 on: 27 May, 2009, 05:13:07 pm »

So you don't rate grade 8 singing as an indication of any kind of ability? Fair enough. How about the fact that she writes and performs all her own songs...

I certainly don't find she has anything special as an interpreter and writer-composer for the matter... No I don't!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse