Author Topic: Cycling on Skye  (Read 1461 times)

simonp

Cycling on Skye
« on: 15 June, 2009, 10:54:21 pm »
Looks like I'll be up there for around a week late June/early July (not sure exactly when I will be going up, but returning around 4th July).

Anyone got any good cycle routes around there?  Probably will be able to take a bike.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Cycling on Skye
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2009, 11:03:56 pm »
About 30 years ago I found 1" OS maps for the whole of Skye in a second-hand shop. I paid 5p each for them, planning to use them on a cycle tour.

It remains an unfulfilled ambition.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2009, 11:19:25 pm »
If mountain biking then I can recommend this route. It's brilliant because you get up close to the hills.

$hit - it was over 10 years ago when I did that route. I hadn't realised it was quite so long ago!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2009, 12:18:36 am »
I own no mountain bikes.  Could be tempted to hire one for a day though - thanks for that route.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2009, 09:30:11 pm »
Nice route is from Portree, up to Uig, round the north end and down the east coast pass the Quirang.  Quiet roads (unlike the main Kyle - Portree road, where the drivers seem to think anything below 70mph is dozing), but beware of the wind!

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2009, 10:26:29 pm »
I just got back from Scotland on Saturday.
I never had time to do Skye and still haven't really been there, but the western costal roads were bloody marvellous. Especially Drumbeg with the roller coaster roads. Applecross was pretty good too, but I think it'd be pretty grim without the sunny weather that I had. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:
Don't forget the midge repellent!

You can't really go wrong in that part of the world if you want good scenery. Just go wherever you fancy. :)

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2009, 10:29:02 pm »
Take the train to achnasheen and do a big loop riding up towards Ullapool, but turning left and following the coast past gairloach and poolewe., and back down past loch maree

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2009, 10:45:06 pm »
My experience of Skye are not good. But only ever really passed through to get home via the Uig-Tarbert Ferry. The kyleakin to Portree road is busy with lorries and coaches and I didn't enjoy it. A much better experience away from this route eg. the road to Kylerhea ferry, The road to staffin and over the Quirang to Uig and the Portree to Uig road.

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2009, 08:45:23 am »
My experience of Skye are not good. 

Nor mine, but there are some of the best cycling roads in the UK just the other side of the (ex) toll bridge  :D

« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2009, 09:11:25 pm »
Adamski's route looks good.  I was tempted to go along that track when I was up there in March, but I didn't cos I had my fully-laden tourer and it was a bit wet.

Plenty of other roads to follow, but it's hard to avoid the A87 at some point.  I really enjoyed riding from Sligachan to Dunvegan, then across to Portree.  You could also drop in on the Talisker brewery (which I meant to do, but never got around to).

I also enjoyed the ride off the island and across the bridge, but that's cos I had the wind behind me :o

simonp

« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2009, 11:18:50 pm »
It turns out from Kyle of Lochalsh to the cottage is 51 miles, much of it on the A87.  Don't fancy that so I'll get a lift.