Author Topic: Suffolk Sunrise charity ride May 9th  (Read 2051 times)

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
Suffolk Sunrise charity ride May 9th
« on: 14 April, 2010, 11:02:29 am »
Is anyone doing this?

It's a charity ride for Action Medical Research around south Suffolk on May 9th. Last year it was a really nice ride, sunny, warm, nice country lanes and lots of sandwiches. There's a choice between a 50 and 100 mile route.

I'm doing the ride with my dad (same as before). We'll do the 50 miles, I would like to try the 100 but he's not keen. You are meant to raise sponsorship but they seemed quite relaxed about this and this year I'm just planning to sell some cakes/biscuits at work and give them a donation instead.

Here's a link: Suffolk Sunrise 100 | Action Medical Research
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Suffolk Sunrise charity ride May 9th
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2010, 04:30:05 pm »
Hi Morrisette,

I was half thinking of doing this ride but then I organised my ride the day before (which I've just recced and is fab - you should come too!)

If I feel super-energetic I might consider doing the Sunrise again, but I remember the same thing happening last year and I was knackered and could only manage the 50. But perhaps this year I'm more in shape.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2010, 04:32:49 pm »
Don't listen to the filthy siren Morrers. What you're doing to raise money for Action Medical Research is a wonderful and noble thing! You carry on girl/sister!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2010, 12:35:36 pm »
Hi Morrisette,

I was half thinking of doing this ride but then I organised my ride the day before (which I've just recced and is fab - you should come too!)

If I feel super-energetic I might consider doing the Sunrise again, but I remember the same thing happening last year and I was knackered and could only manage the 50. But perhaps this year I'm more in shape.

I'm much LESS in shape so the 50 it is! Your ride sounds good, I'm sorry I can't make it, I have to go to a party (terrible I know!)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:11:41 pm »
I shall be there, I've done a couple of the AMR 100 milers now, last years Castle ride, or as I now call it, "Hell on Earth", and the Essex 100.

On both occasions I was amongst the first to start and the last to finish, so you will most probably overtake me within the first 50 miles.  You'll recognise me, I'll be struggling up those Suffolk hills and sweating profusely.  
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:29:29 pm »
What was so bad about the Castle Ride? Sounds worrying!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Psychler

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:42:54 pm »
Not the organisers fault in any way, the route itself was really good, support excellent, lots of good scenery but......

1] I don't do hills and there were lots and lots [and lots] of hills.  Mostly fairly short but pretty sharp.

2] It rained all day.  The roads were mostly rural and covered in flints and cow sh*t which stuck to tires and caused endless punctures.  I had four and wrecked a tire, I talked to one chap who had six.

It was probably not the best ride to choose to be my first attempt at a 100

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2010, 04:37:27 pm »
Hi Morrisette,

I'm much LESS in shape so the 50 it is! Your ride sounds good, I'm sorry I can't make it, I have to go to a party (terrible I know!)
I don't think they have a 50 option this year, do they? I thought it was 100 miles or 100k options.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Riggers

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:24:17 am »
Psychlers? I sympathise and share your pain. This'll be my 3rd or 4th Castle Ride and those hills seem to get steeper and steeper, and having had such a fantastic lunch AND with the sun coming out as well, I could have quite happily snuggled into a plastic chair outside and had forty winks (I said 'winks' Hummers), but trundled on. There's no avoiding the hills, but the scenery is stunning and it's a great challenge to complete.

I'm praying that the sun will be behaving itself this year as it did the year before, but let's face it, it ain't putting on its best display so far.

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2010, 12:56:23 pm »
Yes its 100 miles or 100k. Entry £25, suggested Charity donation £25.

Will probably be there if not pouring with rain.
Where have all the hedges gone ?

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2010, 02:09:13 pm »
Yes, the 100k. So 60 miles I suppose!

Rain will make it more fun......maybe.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2010, 01:26:27 pm »
Well I was right about one thing - it did rain! A bit, in the morning. The sun did manage to struggle out for the last ten miles.

A good ride though. It has been 'rebranded' as a 100 miles or 100 km, so the short route was 63 miles, making it my longest day ride to date. It was organised with a quite different route to last year without having to cross the estuary on the little ferry (a VERY good thing as it was very much colder as well, we needed to keep moving). I believe there were less hills also (or shorter ones anyway). Saw a lot of lovely little villages, some extremely posh (private golf course as your front lawn? Duck house? oh yes) and a lot of the route followed the Suffolk coastal path, which is a lovely ride I may do bits of again when if summer arrives, as once the sun came out it was really nice.

This ride also benefits from free cups of tea. All in all a nice day out.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Psychler

« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2010, 01:40:45 pm »
...... and a couple of nice pub stops for me.

We ended up doing the 100k as neither of us felt up to the 100 miles in the rain.  A very nice ride, none the less.

Riggers

« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2010, 03:23:00 pm »
Well done you two! Good show!