Author Topic: Phil and Friends 100/150 - 2nd August  (Read 2250 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Phil and Friends 100/150 - 2nd August
« on: 14 July, 2009, 08:57:21 pm »
Anybody doing this one?

I'm considering it, although because of childcare issues I might not be able to. If I do, it'll be my first Audax (does this count as an audax, it being a CTC event?) My first 100km.  :o

Much as I'd like to do the 150km, and round it up to do my first imperial century, there's no way I'm attempting Winnats pass again without a triple.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
Re: Phil and Friends 100/150 - 2nd August
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2009, 11:26:15 pm »
Some CTC events (those listed in the AUK Calendar) count as Audax events, but this is not one such.  Bonne route, anyway.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2009, 06:36:30 am »
I think it's more of a sportive, although being a CTC event they've dispensed with the usual martlehat rule.  If they can do it, why can't anyone else?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hulver

« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2009, 08:15:04 am »
I wasn't sure if it was an AUK event or not, seeing as it asks for CTC/AUK membership number on the entry form.

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2009, 08:45:53 am »
In the past it's been an Audax, along with the Ron Kitching Ride from the York Rally, perhaps the entry form has just not been changed.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2009, 12:32:44 pm »
I originally found the Phil and the Ron through Audax, do you know why they aren't run as audaxes anymore?

Also, what's with the dates switching?  First it was the second weekend in August, then the last, now it's the first.  What gives?

StanThomas

« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2009, 05:57:30 pm »
I wasn't sure if it was an AUK event or not, seeing as it asks for CTC/AUK membership number on the entry form.

CTC & AUK members get a reduced price entry.

These CTC Challenge rides don't seem to know whether they're an audax or a cyclosport. And, after riding the David Duffield a couple of years ago, my impression is of the worst of both worlds. The DD was poorly signed, but you weren't given a routesheet; the service stop was so close to the end of the route that it was a waste of time; I'd hope for something more than a Rich Tea biscuit for my £12; the route distance was well down on the published figure.

If anyone would like to assure me that Phil & Friends is better organised, I'd be up for it.

hulver

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2009, 07:37:04 pm »

These CTC Challenge rides don't seem to know whether they're an audax or a cyclosport. And, after riding the David Duffield a couple of years ago, my impression is of the worst of both worlds. The DD was poorly signed, but you weren't given a routesheet; the service stop was so close to the end of the route that it was a waste of time; I'd hope for something more than a Rich Tea biscuit for my £12; the route distance was well down on the published figure.

If anyone would like to assure me that Phil & Friends is better organised, I'd be up for it.

I don't know about feed stops, refreshments are noted on the route sheet, but it might just be a signpost to a cafe.

I've been sent a route sheet for both the 100k and 150k rides, I just emailed the CTC asking if it was available.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2009, 08:08:11 pm »
Is it me, or are the Pies starting to show on our Phil? He seemed a little... erm... advanced in the pot-region when interviewed on the TdF highlight show earlier. Not that I would pit my cycling wits against him you understand... oh no...

As the man once said himself:

"He's crazy. He's always been crazy. And what on EARTH is he doing?"

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2009, 01:52:06 am »
I've been given route sheets on each of the Phils I've done, and there have usually been enough people riding to just follow the big group (though I have taken a slight wrong turn after descending Holme Moss before), plus they've put marshals on any particularly dangerous junctions.  In general, it's been a well organised ride.

One annoying thing was that last year, they started from a different place in Stannington, but the route through Stannington to the end was quite poorly signed, and I know I wasn't the only one who ended up wasting 15 or 20 minutes going down to the bottom of a big hill, realising my mistake and riding back up again.

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2009, 12:55:58 am »
The CTC Southern Challenge (starting from my home town of East Grinstead) was a Southern (but just as hilly) version of the Phil / Ron and last ran in 2006 after which I was told the CTC pulled it as it did not cover its costs; I did it 3 times. My local club considered running it along exactly the same lines as the CTC event but ultimately much of the route has since become duplicated by new Audax and Sportive rides and the sportive calendar is completely full around that time (first or second weekend in September). A great shame as it was an excellent and very good value event.

IIRC the PaP stopped being an Audax a couple of years ago after the organisers changed.

I think it's more of a sportive, although being a CTC event they've dispensed with the usual martlehat rule.  If they can do it, why can't anyone else?

it's covered by CTC insurance (I assume on a block basis) so individuals don't need to belong to any organisation; the last RT I did was advertised as being open to AUK members but when the org realised AUK would not cover its members for a non-AUK event he took out a CTC event policy instead.  The sportives you mention are covered by another insurance company who have made helmets a condition of the event insurance.

« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2009, 07:43:14 pm »
I left it until late before deciding to ride, did the 150 and had a great day, helped by the absence of rain, I've ridden it a couple of times before so knew what to expect.
Some great climbs, that just keep coming.
Saw someone in a purple YACF jersey at the bottom of the first climb fixing a visitation. Hulver?

hulver

« Reply #12 on: 02 August, 2009, 08:57:20 pm »
Yep, that was me. Just after a dip down and up from a river, by the side of a barn.

I set off to do the 150, but ended up doing the 100, because I'm a fat bastard and hills are hard when you're carrying an extra 6 stone.  ;D

That was my only puncture though, so that was good news anyway.

Fantastic ride though, I was really enjoying it at the end, although I was cursing starting it for the first half.

« Reply #13 on: 03 August, 2009, 07:08:20 pm »
Hulver
Similiarly I was really enjoying it at the start and then cursing towards the end for doing the long route.
I really wanted to ride up Winnatts but that was hard work into the wind and after that it felt a long way round.