Author Topic: Service watches  (Read 4704 times)

Service watches
« on: 07 May, 2008, 04:02:21 pm »
In another forum a long way away someone recommended a company which sold British Army and Navy type watches. Can anyone remember what it was? Think I may need it as my current watch seems to be getting iffy.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Re: Service watches
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:18:12 pm »
Well, Silvermans sell a variety of mainly non-issued or faux-issued watches of that ilk:

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Products/tabid/54/Military/WATCHES/id/1/Text/126/Default.aspx

If you want something authentically issued try Anchor supplies, good value, although if it is important to you that it is an issued watch then ask them re the status prior to ordering:

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/g10watch_offer.htm

There are loads on Ebay, some genuine, some copies.

Of course your current watch is probably fixable / needs new battery if quartz.

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:50:27 pm »
CWC are the manufacturer I was thinking of but that Silvermans site doesn't ring any bells - I'll search further.

Current watch is a seiko solar powered titanium so not easily repairable - first choice would be another one like the last. If I have to look for something new priority would be light weight and preferabley not plastic.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:06:21 pm »
Yup, it's Silvermans that sell CWC.   In fact, they are the only authorised dealer for CWC.  You either buy one from them or join the army.  They're the only two ways to get one.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:53:22 pm »
I have an army issue G10 watch, sadly its knackerd, might get it fixed one day

Mine was "liberated" from the stores by a friend of mine, they tend to destroy damaged ones anyway so I dont feel guilty

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2008, 07:34:26 pm »
Yup, it's Silvermans that sell CWC.   In fact, they are the only authorised dealer for CWC.  You either buy one from them or join the army.  They're the only two ways to get one.

CWC are owned by Silvermans.

Robbo4

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2008, 07:46:37 pm »
The very few O & W watches that were issued had a better reputation than the CWC.
http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/ollech_&_wajs_wristwatches.htm

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2008, 04:05:38 pm »
Pulsar made some G10s as well at one stage. Don't buy an MWC though as no matter what they claim they have never been military issue and are just a copy using a very cheap quartz movement.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:34:23 pm »
Later G10s and current ones do indeed use a quartz movement

Older ones were wind up, most of the wind up ones are no longer in service, a few TA units will still have them kicking around in the stores as part of a platoon commanders bits box which gets issued when on excercise, watch, map case, binos etc

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:48:19 pm »
CWC and Pulsar use good quality Swiss quartz movements though but MWC use very cheap ones.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:59:59 pm »
As an alternative, how about one of these.
I have one, and am very happy with it - for the price.

They also sell some stunningly beautiful knives (Charlotte)
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:13:05 pm »
The very few O & W watches that were issued had a better reputation than the CWC.
http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/ollech_&_wajs_wristwatches.htm

I was just going to say "get an Ollech & Wajs" I have one - bought it from Neil (Chronomaster) four or five years ago - it looks good and it's going strong still. Only thing: get a stainless band if you do. The leather ones may be authentic but a year or so of sweaty cycling and swimming makes them go like mouldy bacon...which is yeuccch

goatpebble

« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:40:57 pm »
I don't know if this will help, but I have two standard issue watches. One is Longines, and the other Seiko. The Seiko has fallen nearly three hundred meters, and still keeps good time, despite visible scars. The Longines watch is beautiful, but is moody, to say the least. It's forty years old, I think!

Both were standard issue for the RAF, Seiko for the Marines also, but years ago.

« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2008, 12:56:42 pm »
The Vulcan issue Seiko is one of the holy grails of military watches.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 10 May, 2008, 10:21:41 pm »

I know.

*hides credit card*

::-)

« Reply #15 on: 12 May, 2008, 07:55:08 pm »

I know.

*hides credit card*

::-)

I was looking at that site.  Boy, do they have a lot of knives, and some of them are very expensive.

What is a puzzle lock?  (in the context of a knife).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #16 on: 12 May, 2008, 08:06:35 pm »
Hard to find a good description of how it is constructed, but this seems to cover it:

A puzzle piece fits into the butt of the blade and should the lock fail, it defaults to a compression-style lock, keeping the blade in place and keeping your fingers intact.

http://www.shindendojo.de/downloads/LLCinTK.pdf

More:

http://www.cherusker-messer.de/shop/page/4?sessid=efnLJaugHtPE04eMo5vPxFpCLHDGSYKwKYsmx2xQ1ghs9DTJy26qHWS9aRuqXny2&shop_param=

Some day I'd like a really nice custom knife but for now I'm happy enough with my Spyderco.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:33:52 am »
Which one do you have?

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2008, 06:23:11 pm »
Wish I had one of these service watches  :o
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2008, 08:49:22 pm »
Which one do you have?

A Scorpius, nothing fancy. Rarely carry it; plain old Opinels are handy for the saddle-pack.