Author Topic: Protecting "Precious" in transit  (Read 1607 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Protecting "Precious" in transit
« on: 07 September, 2009, 01:57:24 pm »
Mrs. TKP's new bike is still all sparkling and new without a mark on it. As we will be travelling by Virgin from Preston to Wolverhampton on Friday there is a good chance of it getting scratched in transit so I came up with this:

Nine bits of foam pipe lagging and most of them won't even need zip ties to hold them in place. Total cost, about £1.50 When we get off the train they can be discarded, posted home or carried for a day and a half to our first stop with relatives. I doubt the bike will survive two weeks touring without obtaining any blemishes but at least it might survive the train journey. Does anybody else go to such lengths? (No pun intended)

Re: Protecting "Precious" in transit
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2009, 02:58:12 pm »
I (and many others) do similarly before adding bubble wrap and a bag for flying or travelling by car.

little pieces can also protect carbon brake levers whilst in transit.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2009, 03:02:01 pm »
I use pipe lagging on my frame when putting the bike on the Thule roof carrier.
It is simpler than it looks.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2009, 03:02:22 pm »
There haven't been any bike racks in the Virgin trains I've been on, Just a type of cupboard.
You lean your bike against the side of the train and use the straps to secure it.
Something to use to stop the contact points (handlebars/seat) rubbing the wall may help though.

Rich.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2009, 03:08:06 pm »
There haven't been any bike racks in the Virgin trains I've been on, Just a type of cupboard.
You lean your bike against the side of the train and use the straps to secure it.
Something to use to stop the contact points (handlebars/seat) rubbing the wall may help though.

Rich.
That's true. Train to Macclesfield (possibly going to Preston?) was the same. They may be crap in other ways, but once your bike is on the train they're a good way to move a bike. Your only risk is a bike that gets put next to it, and the owner would have to very ham-fisted to do damage, and you can always 'supervise' it if you like.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2009, 03:10:50 pm »
One of the Virgin train I travelled on Plymouth-Dumfries (Exeter-Bristol) had a hook to hang the bike by a wheel.  The train was full so I sat on the floor allarmed as my bike swang back and fore.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2009, 04:10:00 pm »
One of the Virgin train I travelled on Plymouth-Dumfries (Exeter-Bristol) had a hook to hang the bike by a wheel.  The train was full so I sat on the floor allarmed as my bike swang back and fore.

The Virgin train we will be on will be of this variety and I'm more concerned about other careless travellers trying to fit their bike in or guards moving the bikes about to make room.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2009, 04:12:31 pm »
Gill might get some odd looks riding to the station with that lot on her bike .

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2009, 04:15:18 pm »

The Virgin train we will be on will be of this variety and I'm more concerned about other careless travellers trying to fit their bike in or guards moving the bikes about to make room.

Take another cheap bike along to protect it with?!?
---
If there aren't many stops, it's little trouble to keep an eye on things when new bikes board.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2009, 04:58:59 pm »

Take another cheap bike along to protect it with?!?
---
If there aren't many stops, it's little trouble to keep an eye on things when new bikes board.

That would be my bike then.  ;D

I use the same train once a week and there are three stops. Bikes are taken on and off at every station most days.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2009, 06:18:29 pm »
And if it's a pendalino you need to inform platform staff to get the bike on and the train manager to get the door open when you reach your destination. They have to open the door with a "special key" 

rdaviesb

« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2009, 09:23:36 pm »
You'll be on a Virgin Super Voyager. My regular commuter route from Preston to Bristol.

Bikes normally at the rear, hung from hooks in what they used to call a guards van. The bikes can sway a little, so the protection is a good idea. You can open the door yourself to get on a get off.

Even if Mrs TKP is riding "lagged" into Preston, there will be zippo chance of weird looks. We are all weird here....  :-X Wave as you cross the bridge just outside the station.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2009, 11:11:50 pm »
Even if Mrs TKP is riding "lagged" into Preston

I had a Reginald Perrin moment.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #13 on: 08 September, 2009, 09:19:21 pm »
We have never used pipe lagging when travelling by train, but it is our protection of choice for tubes when flying with the tandem. It's light enough that you can carry it around when touring without too much worry.  :thumbsup:

Emma
California Dreaming

« Reply #14 on: 08 September, 2009, 09:33:00 pm »
In 2002 I bought my first (and last ) Orbit.   That slab of taiwanese sheffield shite was jinxed from the outset.   Within a mile of the shop the front cantis shot off across the road on braking, leaving me sliding under the wheels of an advancing black cab.   New forks and other bits later we went on tour.   On the way back home from Carlisle to Rugby it went into the old drive car 'van'.   Somehow it was moved during the journey and acquired a ding in the top tube.   

Needless to say I sold it and replaced it with a nice Roberts Roughstuff.   This, incidentally, also got 'dinged' first time out by a not-so-helpful B&B host.    >:(