Author Topic: Prescription lenses and sports frames  (Read 2280 times)

Prescription lenses and sports frames
« on: 31 January, 2023, 12:51:43 pm »
Any recommendations please?

My favourite non-prescription sports glasses are Oakley Half Jackets but they do not seem to be compatible with prescription lenses.

<Edit>

I should clarify:  Oakley do not offer transitions (photochromic) on the Half Jacket prescription lenses and I have photochromic on my lens prescription.

Re: Prescription lenses and sports frames
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2023, 01:15:36 pm »
I'm waiting for to get my prescrition right post cataract ops, but then top of my shopping list is Oakley Flak.
Definitely recommend getting prescription lenses rather than prescription insert - they don't work very well in my experience (and that of quite a number of friends)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2023, 01:22:52 pm »
Seconded.

I have cheap safety glasses with inserts.  They do the job of keeping crud out of my eyes while riding a low bike at speeds in excess of R17.  The problem is that once your speed drops to something more reasonable, they steam up like a right bastard.  If I cared enough to own special glasses for normal cycling, prescription lenses would be the way to go.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2023, 03:20:44 pm »
I went for inserts cos cheap to try out and I prefer a visor lens.
but it just means 2 sets of lenses to steam up, at least with 1 set I can wipe them which is of course how the other part of my bike glasses problem occurs, they get scratched to hell.

maybe i just need to MTFU and stab my self in the eyes with my finger every day (contacts)

« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2023, 03:52:34 pm »
It wasn't just the inserts steaming up.
I tried the sports glasses with insert before they were glazed - seemed fine.
When glazed, they caught on my eylashes every time I blinked (=often), and irritated me to death.
Inserts smeared with a mix of rain, sweat and possibly sunscreen, and impossible to clear without removing the whole lot.
Saving up for better.

« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2023, 04:04:46 pm »
I tried various cheap options for prescription cycling sunglasses but it was all good money after bad. I invested in a pair of Oakley Split jackets with 2 pairs of varifocal lenses, one clear and one dark set. Boy, it was expensive but at least I can see now.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2023, 05:53:07 pm »
I tried various cheap options for prescription cycling sunglasses but it was all good money after bad. I invested in a pair of Oakley Split jackets with 2 pairs of varifocal lenses, one clear and one dark set. Boy, it was expensive but at least I can see now.

How did you buy your Oakleys?  I can see that they have an online buying option but how can they take the necessary measurements?

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2023, 05:59:58 pm »
I had photochromic Flak Jackets, and I liked them so much I got a second pair when my prescription changed. Both got stolen from my car, and since then I've had Optilabs Rascal - they are nearly as good and a lot cheaper.
My prescription has changed again, if I can get a good deal when buying sunglasses and regular ones I'll be going back to Oakley, but I haven't had a chance to go try some on yet.

My local optician stocks Oakley, so I'm just going into the branch. For the Optilabs, they will send you unglazed ones to try on if you want, and for the measurements, you either get your optician to do it or try to do the pd yourself (this was a few years ago, there might be clever online ways of doing it now!)

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2023, 06:16:47 pm »
For the Optilabs, they will send you unglazed ones to try on if you want, and for the measurements, you either get your optician to do it or try to do the pd yourself (this was a few years ago, there might be clever online ways of doing it now!)

If convenient you can go to Optilabs who will measure the PD for you on site, or a full eye test if desired.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2023, 10:50:10 pm »

The biggest problem for me is that my eyesight changes every time I go, and while I do usually get 4 years out of a pair of glasses as it doesn't change much, it still burns the pocket.

« Reply #10 on: 01 February, 2023, 08:24:21 am »
The problem I have with 'sports' frames, and many fashion frames, is that they use a nose bridge, rather than adjustable pads.

With a nose bridge, there is no way of adjusting the vertical position of the glasses, which is crucial if you need varifocals or have a complex prescription.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #11 on: 04 February, 2023, 05:04:58 am »
The problem I have with 'sports' frames, and many fashion frames, is that they use a nose bridge, rather than adjustable pads.

With a nose bridge, there is no way of adjusting the vertical position of the glasses, which is crucial if you need varifocals or have a complex prescription.
hmm, I have varifocals and a complex prescription for my regular glasses which don't have adjustable pads. Not been an issue that I'm aware.  I have plain (non varifocal) lens in my cycling glasses which are fine for purpose. My optilabs with transition lenses are great and great value.

« Reply #12 on: 06 February, 2023, 12:05:28 pm »

hmm, I have varifocals and a complex prescription for my regular glasses which don't have adjustable pads. Not been an issue that I'm aware.  I have plain (non varifocal) lens in my cycling glasses which are fine for purpose. My optilabs with transition lenses are great and great value.

I think it depends on your nose shape - if your nose is the 'average shape' then the bridge frames will sit in the right place.

If you use a plain lens for cycling, how do you read things like a cycle computer?
<i>Marmite slave</i>