Author Topic: What to look at when buying a 2nd hand Brompton?  (Read 3843 times)

bikenerd

What to look at when buying a 2nd hand Brompton?
« on: 13 October, 2009, 09:46:56 pm »
I have the opportunity of buying a 2nd hand Brommie from someone at work.  What should I be looking at in terms of wear and tear?  How can I tell if the bushes are shot?
The chap said it was in "good condition but not pristine"!

border-rider

Re: What to look at when buying a 2nd hand Brompton?
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2009, 10:35:00 pm »
Wobble in the rear triangle is a give-away for worn folding bearings.

Check that the seat pin isn't bent (mine is ;))

BBs can wear fast.

The front wheel bearings are a bit poor...

Other than that it's the usual stuff.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2009, 10:37:13 pm »
Make sure it's got a frame number.

The Brommie I bought off Ebay didn't have one where I expected it. It didn't twig to begin with that it was actually a very neatly done filing off and repainting job on a stolen machine.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2009, 05:24:30 pm »
Bushes, hinges, wheel bearings, broken spokes (very common), badly worn rims because they're small and go through quicker, cracks around the seat clamp.  If the headset is loose the lower cup *may* have stretched the head tube because it's lugless and unreinforced (Mrs Z's is like this).  This cannot be fixed properly but Loctite will usually hold it between services.  Avoid older ones with a 1" headset since you can't get a replacement stem now.  The short wheelbase one is barely different to the LWB one though, so don't worry about that.  The paint will probably be crappy and they cost a fortune to respray because they come in five parts, so you'll have to live with it.

If it is old or well-used, budget for new hinge clamp plates and bars - the "M" type in particular take a right pounding. Also budget for a new chain and sprocket on a high miler.

Provenance is very important, since most people in London with Bromptons seem to have had at least one stolen (Mrs Z's friend is on his fourth).  Get the original receipt.  An owner's manual is available as a £3 spare from any dealer and proves nothing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2009, 02:01:42 pm »
If the headset is loose the lower cup *may* have stretched the head tube because it's lugless and unreinforced (Mrs Z's is like this).  This cannot be fixed properly but Loctite will usually hold it between services.

What's the long-term cure for this problem? New front section? Can you even get the front section by itself new or do you have to replace the whole of the main frame section?

After a few years of heavy use, my Brommie has developed play in both the headset and the rear hinge. It makes for an "interesting" riding experience. I've read the thread on replacing the rear hinge and I don't think I have the engineering skillz to do the job myself. It's going to be expensive to get it all fixed, isn't it? Ouch.  :(

Avoid older ones with a 1" headset since you can't get a replacement stem now.

I'm not sure exactly how old the bike is because I bought it second-hand, but if it turns out it's old enough to have a 1" headset, does that mean changing the main frame would also mean having to replace the stem?

I suppose if it did, at least that would be a good excuse to upgrade from an M to an S stem...  ::-)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2009, 02:15:33 pm »
it's going to be expensive to get it all fixed, isn't it? Ouch.

In view of the cost and design improvements since 1998 (when I bought it) LBS recommended I get a new one. I like the idea of a titanium one, tho my usage couldn't justify it. The bike's still fine for around-town use.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2009, 02:22:34 pm »
I like the idea of a titanium one, tho my usage couldn't justify it. The bike's still fine for around-town use.

I do use mine a lot1 so I reckon I could justify the cost of a new one, even a titanium one, if only I hadn't already bought another new bike recently...

d.

1. Not just for short journeys either - trains were up the spout yesterday and rather than get the replacement bus, I rode the last 15 miles home. Quite enjoyable, actually.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2009, 05:49:02 pm »
If you can just buy the front section, it would also solve the 1" head tube problem.  However, the current LWB hinge is different so you'd need the old SWB hinge design with the 1 1/8" headset.

It's probably best to flog it on fleaBay, where it will make at least £250, and buy a slightly better one.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2009, 09:23:28 pm »
As one who upgraded from a 1997 L5 to a 2009 S6L, I highly recommend it.  The newer bike is so much better in every way (supposedly lighter too, but once I've added all my clobber you'd never be able to tell).