Author Topic: Which 1/8" Chain  (Read 7023 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: Which 1/8" Chain
« Reply #25 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:17:02 am »
Ordered 3 Wippermann 108's from 'Tredz'; under £30 (and free postage).

Fcuki*g PC-1's

« Reply #26 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:27:04 pm »
Well I just went to check my screw link :-)

It hasn't budged and, tbh, I can't see it happening.  The screw screws through the threaded sideplate of the chain and then there's a nut outside of that which I've loctited.  It's all very tight and really doesn't feel like it could possibly come apart.  The upside is very easy chain splitting on the road, should it be required to fix a puncture.  I'm going to take the risk and stick with it, but carry a 1/8 masterlink just in case.

« Reply #27 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:33:33 pm »
It probably won't come apart in your garage, no. Quite safe

;D

« Reply #28 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:37:40 pm »
Fancy a 200 on Tuesday? :-)

But I won't be riding fixed..

« Reply #29 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:41:25 pm »
Yes, if I can get away with it  :thumbsup:   Where did you have in mind?

Out on sunday doing a 175k loop from Llandovery-Lliane Brianne-tregaron-Cwmystwyth-Elan Valley-Rhayader-some cunty hills-Llanwyrtyd-more cunty hills-llandovery. 

« Reply #30 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:44:24 pm »
Start from mine - Hay - Builth - Eppynt - Brecon - Aber - Chepstow?

« Reply #31 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »
Could do, although to be fair I wouldn't mind a change from those roads (especially with BC and BCM looming). 

How do you feel about heading south from here to Dorset border and back?

« Reply #32 on: 30 March, 2012, 10:41:57 pm »
Well I just went to check my screw link :-)

It hasn't budged and, tbh, I can't see it happening.  The screw screws through the threaded sideplate of the chain and then there's a nut outside of that which I've loctited

Tewdric, I've used these Vertex ones on the Bob Jackson since I got the bike:

http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=261&zenid=k2k44mmtumsvnc3rv4etq6vhb0

Similar threaded side-plate + (loctited) nut. I've never had a problem with it in 3 or 4 chains. Mind you I did check it fairly frequently to begin with. When I replace a chain to be honest I usually just push out a random rivet just for speed, but I have dismantled those joining links a few times too: always just as tight as they day they went on, and given that the conditions aren't ideal for loctiting that small nut and the threads at the end of there bolt, I found the threadlock to have been fairly effective, certainly enough to prevent accidental loosening I'd have thought.

I really like the chain in the link above. Each part of each link is a thing of beauty. I don't really care too much about the longevity really, but I find them to be very long lasting.   

« Reply #33 on: 31 March, 2012, 08:13:53 am »
Thanks P/O - Do you know what the deal with this chain being less easy to throw is all about?

Well it wasn't me that said it, that was rogerzilla, but ...

The 108 has bushings, which are separate tubes between the inner plates, inside the rollers. Bushingless chains are where the inner plate incorporates a tube at the hole as part of the plate. This means the shoulders of the hole are more rounded, and they were introduced because this gives more sideways flex which is good if you have dérailleurs with lots of gears.

Wikipedia reckons bushingless chains wear quicker, and Sheldon reckons they last longer because oil can get inside the rollers more easily. Neither of these opinions are based on any cited tests, so take your pick!

In theory, less lateral flex will keep the chain straighter so less likely to unship, but you are only talking a few mm over ~300mm which any chain will do so that point's debatable too.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #34 on: 04 April, 2012, 01:38:06 pm »
I've been using a KMC S1* chain on my Pompino, which got fitted in Sept. and has now been replaced. I dunno how far the chain has done, but I do know it has done four winter 200 km audaxes, various winter non-audax rides and about 25 km per day of commuting. All that for £5.

* I know the Planet X site says it is a Singlespeed chain, but yacf said that would be fine for fixed
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #35 on: 04 April, 2012, 09:49:42 pm »
The main disadvantage of full-bushing chains is that they are noisier than bushingless.  A fixie with slightly dubious chainline will crackle like mad, but can be quiet with a PC-1 or similar.  Chainline has to be within 1mm for a happy life.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.