Author Topic: Prostatitis and cycling  (Read 4088 times)

Prostatitis and cycling
« on: 24 January, 2010, 07:56:41 pm »
Mr Mac was diagnosed with 'probable' prostatitis by a urologist last year. It's recurring, and online research on the symptoms would suggest that the diagnosis is correct. He had urine and blood tests at the time which all came back negative, which means that it's unlikely to be bacterial prostatitis, which is a shame because that can be treated with antibiotics.

We're pretty sure he knackered his prostate by prolonged use of a terrible saddle, and now, even with a saddle change, the condition seems to be chronic (ie there all the time) when he cycles, and only relieved by stopping cycling for a week or more, after which it takes about a week of cycling to start the aches all over again. He only commutes about 15 miles a day and nothing at the weekends so it's not as if he's overdoing things.

Do any blokes of the forum have experience of this and tips on how to treat? Mr Mac is going to go back to the GP for another test to double check it's abacterial, but in the expectation that anti-bs won't help, what else can he do that will enable him to go back to cycling at some point?

Thanks in advance...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Prostatitis and cycling
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2010, 09:08:24 pm »
I'll extend my sympathy although until reading this thread I'd never heard of prostatitis.

Would a recumbent help?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2010, 09:15:43 pm »
I was put on Ibuprofen for 6 weeks, this was about 15 years ago.  I've tested my ability to ride a bike quite thoroughly since.  ::-)

« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2010, 11:03:37 pm »
I have no experience of this problem, but do think that the saddles with an 'ole in them are good.

Otherwise, a recumbent will help.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2010, 02:01:18 pm »
As has been said - recumbents are the way to go! Just have to get over the upright riders aversion and a new world of cycling fun opens up.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2010, 04:30:04 pm »
For prostrate enlargement ask the Doctor for Cardura tablets. The usual dose is  2mg per day.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2010, 04:32:28 pm »
For prostrate enlargement ask the Doctor for Cardura tablets. The usual dose is  2mg per day.

Without wishing to cast any nasturtiums, Marbeaux, but aren't they for old men? I very much doubt if Mr. Little Miss Mac could be classed in that category.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2010, 05:04:11 pm »
Yes, it's different.

Recumbent is a nice idea, though persuading Mr Mac that it is not the bringer of certain death on London's roads might be difficult.

His saddle does have a 'separation' down the middle of it, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick, though it's much better than his last ones.

Hopefully the quack will prescribe ibuprofen and that will be that. He's also taking saw palmetto which is meant to be good (but over a long period) for the prostate.

Watch this space for updates. Exciting, no?!

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2010, 05:09:54 pm »
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2010, 06:14:30 pm »
I've seen that saddle before. Good idea.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2010, 07:35:40 pm »
Yes, it's different.

Recumbent is a nice idea, though persuading Mr Mac that it is not the bringer of certain death on London's roads might be difficult.

His saddle does have a 'separation' down the middle of it, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick, though it's much better than his last ones.

Hopefully the quack will prescribe ibuprofen and that will be that. He's also taking saw palmetto which is meant to be good (but over a long period) for the prostate.

Watch this space for updates. Exciting, no?!

I commute daily on a speedmachine into centre of London and in fact I think it is safer than an upright based on crashes per year. At least one per year from 1982 until 2005 on uprights - broken wrists, elbow, shoulder blade, finger, and bashed back - since 2006 on recumbent - no accidents! Occasional fallovers though resulting in sitting down on the ground and one scuffed shorts episode.
Less far to fall - and in a front impact its feet first not head first.
Enough recumbent advocacy.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:03:18 am »

Without wishing to cast any nasturtiums, Marbeaux, but aren't they for old men? I very much doubt if Mr. Little Miss Mac could be classed in that category.

I think we are discussing Mr Mac's medical problem ::-)
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

LindaG

« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:08:59 pm »
I'd be interested to hear the solution to this one (from a professional point of view).  Will you keep us posted Little Miss Mac?

« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:36:19 pm »

I think we are discussing Mr Mac's medical problem ::-)

Yes - but Wow is correct. Mr Mac doesn't have an enlarged prostate (common in older men, and while Mr Mac is approaching middle age, he couldn't be classed as 'old') but prostatitis, which is inflammation of the prostate and different from an enlarged prostate.

LindaG

« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:42:59 pm »
As a matter of interest, your prostate starts getting bigger from the age of about 27.  It isn't usually big enough to cause problems till you hit middle age though.

Prostatitis can be really painful, sympathies to Little Mr Mac