Author Topic: Upgrading Campagnolo 8-speed to 9-speed  (Read 1995 times)

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
Upgrading Campagnolo 8-speed to 9-speed
« on: 09 July, 2010, 11:45:17 pm »
The story so far... Following on from my previous thread. I want to be able to climb mountains with (more) ease.

I've just replaced my chainset - changing from a 53/40 to a 50/34 compact. As the old chain wasn't sitting very happily on that - it was very worn - I've replaced the chain. As this isn't too happy on the old cassette (13-28) I've replaced that but only had a 12-24 to hand which has (it's too late at night to calculate) undone most or all of the lower gear lovelyness I  got from installing the new chainset. 13-28 Campag 8 speed cassettes are no longer available - the best I  can find is a 13-26 without going to Highpath etc and paying a lot of money

I've wondering if trying to stay 8 speed is ultimately going to lead to more problems in the future and whether I  should go 9 speed as the parts are far more available - I  think 10 or 11 is overkill.

Am I right in assuming that what  I need is a rear wheel that will take a 9 speed cassette, a 9-speed cassette and a 9 speed rear shifter? That is the rear mech and front shifter/mech can be left as they are?

Are the 9/10 Cassette spacings the same. I.E if I  buy a wheel that claims to take these either cassettes will an 9 speed go straight on or does it need a spacer?

Should I consider the idea of going Shimergo at this point too by buying a Shimano wheel and mech as the latter seem to provide even more options for  teethy goodnesss.   If I understand St. Sheldon's website this appears to be a possibility?
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

inc

Re: Upgrading Campagnolo 8-speed to 9-speed
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2010, 11:55:30 pm »
I think a Campag 8 speed ergo and rear mech is close enough to work with an 8 speed Shimano cassette which means you can use any Shimano ratios even MBT ones. The alternative is Campag 10 speed Ergos and rear mech with 13-29 cassette.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2010, 12:32:18 am »
Am I right in assuming that what  I need is a rear wheel that will take a 9 speed cassette, a 9-speed cassette and a 9 speed rear shifter? That is the rear mech and front shifter/mech can be left as they are?

Correct.

Are the 9/10 Cassette spacings the same. I.E if I  buy a wheel that claims to take these either cassettes will an 9 speed go straight on or does it need a spacer?

The spacing between sprockets is not the same, but a 9sp cassette goes straight on without an extra spacer.

I appreciate you regard 10-speed as OTT, but the price gap is narrowing and there's more 10sp stuff around, so it's worth considering as well.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2010, 10:30:13 am »
I've deliberately kept my winter bike 9-sp because chains are cheaper, last longer, the whole setup requires less maintenance etc. I see now that I'm going to find it difficult to find replacement parts in the future. If you make the change to 9-sp now, you may find yourself going through the same thing again in a few years. Campagnolo seem committed to 10-sp though, it looks pretty future-proof for a good few years.

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2010, 10:36:49 am »
I think a Campag 8 speed ergo and rear mech is close enough to work with an 8 speed Shimano cassette which means you can use any Shimano ratios even MBT ones.

I've fitted this in the past and decided it doesn't change well enough for me. Inevitably there will be wear in your rear mech and ergo levers, which may mean you are more successful than i was.

I've ditched this as a 'lower gears' solution and now use 10 speed ergo levers with Shimano 9 speed rear end in the Shimergo format. Changes cleanly and reliably.
Mike