Author Topic: Use of radios after Digital switchover  (Read 785 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Use of radios after Digital switchover
« on: 04 May, 2010, 04:44:04 pm »
Maybe this question has already been asked, but here goes anyway. After the digital switchover happens does that automatically mean 'ordinary' radios become obsolete and of no use?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Use of radios after Digital switchover
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2010, 05:04:29 pm »
Only when there is a radio digital switchover.  The current one is TV.

I shall be very annoyed, because DAB in the UK is teh suX0r.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2010, 04:36:44 pm »
So, do we know when the digital switchover for radio might take place, and I still don't know if that means ordinary radios will be borked because of it.

And your avatar looks like you've got a big cock dangling underneath your chin Zillars. Full marks.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2010, 05:18:20 pm »
Google is your friend.  By 2015 on current plans, and 100m FM radios would have to be junked.  Good if you're a radio manufacturer, not good for anyone else.

The Big Question: Is the analogue/digital switchover destined to lead to chaos? -
            Big Question, Extras - The Independent

I despise Radio 1/2/3, our local radio is unspeakable shite (Heart FM) and I only occasionally listen to Radio 4 and/or Classic FM.  I would probably not bother buying a new radio just for that.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2010, 07:06:15 pm »
Why can't we have both?

We could. Analogue and digital transmissions can co-exist without interfering with one another. Many people want the two to co-exist so DAB becomes an additional platform rather than a replacement one. We could certainly have a much longer transition than a 2015 switch-off suggests. But the government wants to auction off the FM airwaves off for other uses by telecommunications industries who see new mobile phone, Wi-Fi and other money-making potential.

This is bollocks

VHF radio is too low in frequency to be usable for telecoms.   If they auctioned it off it would likely be to, erm, digital radio providers...

What's more likely is that by 2015 or soon after we'll have WiMax networks in place and people will be using internet radios on the move as well as at home, rather than digital or analogue VHF radio. Or they'll use 3G/LTE  data for the same thing.